Saturday, November 17, 2018

Just Like She Always Did





The day her life changed.  She’s off.  I saw her out to the airport.  She’s heading to the Japan all by herself.  I watched her walk down the open hallway to the point I could not go beyond.  The somber symbolism of a young one heading off by herself, no longer in much need of accompaniment.  She turned and waved a few times, just like she always did as a young girl heading across the courtyard on her way in to school.  Bye.  Have fun. 


 Typing yesterday’s blog on the way home as I recall.  Talking about how birthdays had changed.  Yes indeed.  Seeing a concert now means something rather international, something that involves borders and a few more dollars and jet fuel and family members who reside in various countries.   What would have seemed absurd now seems rather straightforward.



In keeping with that train of thought, I’ll be having to head back over to the airport in a few more hours.  I considered staying but it isn’t far and I want to go home, for a bit.  And in just a bit I am back in the big, familiar departure hall.  No there aren’t any aisle seats available.  “You’ll need to take a middle seat sir.”  The security line lets me go through even though its still five minutes till the boarding has begun.  This simple curtesy would never work in a U.S. airport.  Sometimes I’m surprised by China’s unexpected public civility. 

And the other guy who had the aisle never showed on this flight.  Great.  I gave the guy in the window seat whom I’d been mushed up against a high five and moved over into the aisle when they finally announced that the closing of the door.  Read Carlyle. Lafayette is defending a castle.  The mob wants to detonate it.  Good thing the Marquis is there.  Ignored the chicken and the beef.  I had my mind set on breaking my fast at Starbucks there at Hongqiao, the moment I got in.  Fixated on a Caesar chicken wrap, landing it was clear there wouldn’t be any time.  Someone was waiting for me. Besides it’s Tuesday and I should be continuing on past the noon hour till dinner on this full fast day I’ve appointed for myself.    Once I got my mind around it, I didn’t mind.  A triple espresso will suffice and soon my friend, who is as tall as he is communicative, and I were speeding across Shanghai on our way to a warehouse area in Pudong.



Tuesday, 11/13/18

No comments:

Post a Comment