Sunday, December 2, 2018

Again, Despite His Regrets





Used the springboard of our evening with Diego Ramirez, Lawrence Clark’s drummer, to search out a bunch of new jazz.  Biking off, pre-dawn I had on the trumpeter Wayne Tucker’s album, “When I Was a Child.”  Listed as someone whom Ramirez had played he had a bunch of material there on Spotify.  The title track was the second one on and the guest vocalist J Nathaniel Reed sings a song that was easy to get lost in.  A young man, reflecting on a complicated relationship with his father, whom he no longer sees as flawless.  Someone he looks forward to seeing again, despite his regrets about compromises during his upbringing.  Music is something they could always connect on. 

I need something driving, certainly, at the gym.  But this morning ride can accommodate space, can allow for reflection. For the first two thirds of the ride there are no street lights up above I can only glimpse beyond the shadows of the curb.  Still, I know precisely what is there beyond them. 




A meeting down by the Olympic park this morning.  I’d had a false start on this one over the weekend, when I thought these visiting gents from Brazil had wanted to meet on a Saturday.  Setting out I assumed we’d take Jing Cheng Expressway down to the fifth ring road but rather he cut across town along the Qinghe River that divides Chanping and Haidian districts.  Now in broad daylight I don’t know what lies beyond the curbside.  This old city of mine is once again something to peer out into anew. 

At the Beiyuan North station, where I’ve suggested we meet, there is a big overpass and a mall or two.  I hadn’t known where to meet for food but, as suspected, there would be something around the station.  I suggest we head up into the mall to find a restaurant.  One shop keeper and then another directs me upwards.  “Whatdya looking for?”  “Some place nice, we can sit down.”  Then go up, the third floor.  We walk through a shoe department and past the ladies wear till we pop out near one and then another restaurant.  I feel compelled to tell my guests, for whom it is the first time in China, that years ago we would certainly have all been stared at, walking around in a mall like this.  Innocent, harmless gawking that doesn’t really happen much anymore.



Later after lunch they ask to have our photo taken together.  I ask the waiter, with whom I’ve struck up a nice rapport to take our picture, with my camera, even though another young waitress is already setting up a photo with a one of the guest’s camera.  He misunderstands and plops down next to me in the booth assuming I’d wanted him to join our photo.  Innocent, it doesn’t matter.  Please, sit right down.  Smile. 



Monday 11/19/18



No comments:

Post a Comment