Saturday, February 16, 2019

A Form of Law-Practice






Fuzzy, first thoughts, squatting down and considering my phone in the downstairs bathroom this morning.  There is an email with information about a “National Emergency Response T . . .”  That didn’t sound good.  I thumbed back up and into that email.  Sometimes we get emails from the U.S. Embassy in Beijing telling us of some policy matter to be aware of.  The word “response” suggested I might need to do something.  Clicking on the email it was something that would have hit my spam filter in my main account but here on the phone was an email from Move On, whom I must have clicked something with at some point, reminding me that our Checker-Player-in-Chief had just declared a National Emergency, for his vanity project. 

Just finished my Chinese reading for the morning.  I grabbed an article about the Foreign Minister Wang Yi, down in Thailand, negotiating matters in the South China Sea.  Chinese news is always interesting for what it doesn’t say.  There were no disagreements, rather a frank exchange of views. Sophisticated readers, unlike toddlers at my level, can presumably discern the tenor of such an article with one or another turn of phrase or by noting glaring omissions.  I do wonder in this day and age with so many hundreds of millions of people on line, if there aren’t detailed analyses out there, that care to assert what really happened, in detail.  As I think about it, I’m reminded of editorials that most papers have. Tomorrow then, the Shelun section of the paper.



America seems to keep having holidays.  Monday’s is President’s Day back home.  This means people won’t be taking care of a number of things I’d otherwise hope to have settled by my Tuesday morning. Will need to wait till Wednesday.   A few weeks back it was MLK day.  We just got through our Lunar Holiday break and everyone is ready to properly engage, but the U.S. is off.  I was speaking with a company in Sao Paolo.  They reminded me that the whole country shut down for the first week of March for Carnival.  Oh yeah, right, certainly heard of that.  It can’t be long before my kids will want to know what they’re going to do for Spring Break.



Pete La Roca, the bop drummer who later studied (and practiced?) law.  He’s the drummer on that crazy, live Freddie Hubbard Album, “Night of the Cookers” which I’ve written about a few times and I thought to return to his solo album, “Basra.”  The intriguingly titled “Turkish Women at the Bath” was released by Douglas Records under Chick Corea’s name without La Roca's permission and he sued and won a lawsuit against the company, forcing them to recall the improperly titled records; a form a law-practice, certainly.  Good for him. I’ve got something called “Nihonbashi”, and I don’t know if it’s intended to but it conjures up that odd bridge site there in Tokyo where the old, imperial bridge tries to maintain its dignity beneath the post-war, highway overpass.  I wonder what about the bridge, that neighborhood was in his mind, when he named it so. 



Sunday, 02/17/19



No comments:

Post a Comment