Friday, April 10, 2020

Imperfect Talent We Had




Bad business news in the middle of the night.  A deal will slip.  They need more time.  We don’t have any time to offer.  What was I expecting?  Good news?  Nothing is going well just now.  Not for anybody. 



There’ll be repercussions.  Riding along passed the apple orchard on my bike ride I stare down the ravine I ride by and think about the phone call I’ll need to have, the compromises I’ll have to accept.  There is green now beginning to show by the river.  Skunk cabbage.  This ride changes with every passing day of the season. 

Our daily American History course took us through the revolution yesterday.  What an outstanding collection of (albeit imperfect) talent, we had to work with, with Jefferson, Hamilton, Washington, Franklin, Adams.  Presumably there is an equal smattering of talent out there in U.S. today, but little to none of it is apparently drawn to public service.  Today we will look at the Articles of Confederation and the improbable birth of the Constitution.



I am trying to familiarize myself with English composers of the period.  What were people listening to?  Thomas Atwood was on yesterday and today, the accompaniment for my business vexing is John Field, the Irish Composer.  Credited with having invented the nocturne, Field had a life which took him from the Liffey to Rome and on to Moscow.  Perhaps tomorrow, I should finally find some American composers, now that America is independent. 



Thursday, 3/26/20


No comments:

Post a Comment