Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Stupid, If Rudimentarily Thoughtful




Biked south.  Realized immediately that I hadn’t brought a mask.  Should I go all the way back up to the house?  Perhaps I could just awkwardly cover my mouth with my hoodie when I passed people.  And oddly, for the first time in years I saw a cop on a bicycle up on the trail by Cedar Lane, and another one chatting with him in an SUV.  I nodded to them both, though they didn’t seem to notice me, and they certainly weren’t enforcing anything though I was of course, concerned that they might.

As I went along, I wasn’t sure.  I passed one person who wasn’t masked.  Then another who was.  I didn’t cover myself.  The next few people I saw I decided to pull my hoodie across my mouth.  It felt stupid, if rudimentarily thoughtful.  I avoided eye contact and found that I could no longer give my customary wave of a hand to these people as I passed with my face covered this way.  Still, it seemed the better part of valor to make an effort rather than just pretend it didn’t matter.  The trail was, of course, very busy today.



At 5:00PM this afternoon, I get to eat again after four days of fasting.   Earlier last week I’d bought two Cornish Game hens which I’d just kept in the freezer.  This morning, early I took them out let them defrost.  There are bunch of Indian food conveniences including a satay sauce I considered as a marinade.  Game hens sounds like something that would require some traditional “American” preparation, but what is a game hen other than a juicy little chicken.  We can try whatever we want. 



It came out alright.  I built little aluminum foil tents for them, the way you might for a big turkey.  They certainly were juicy.  (Everything tastes good when you haven't eaten in four days.)  My saag paneer was a bit runny.  A recipe suggested I fry the cheese and spices before-hand but it all became too soft.  My daughter commented that one of the dishes tasted like it from a bag of convenient Indian food which, with that comment ensured, that I will never buy any such product again. The Italian white a Monte Carbonare, was earthy as promised and offered me great consolation on my Indian meal that has turned out good but not great.  



Saturday, 5/17/20


No comments:

Post a Comment