Sunday, July 26, 2020

Worried About My Halibut




I had thought before I came to have my car tuned up, that I ought, in addition to my novel and my laptop, bring some headphones.  I was right.  Off to the right of me is a guy with a born in Brooklyn, raised in the burbs accent.  Grey thinning hair, big shnoz, pleasant smile, probably ten years older than me and he is talking loudly.  It is difficult, indeed impossible to tune him out.  I’d kill for some headphones.  He keeps repeating phrases like: “No Shit.”  and “You’re a liar. Whadaya in third grade?”



I bought a ton of groceries and then came here.  That wasn’t smart. It’s been out there in the heat for an hour now.  The last time I was here it took about thirty minutes.  This is dragging on and on.  It sure does feel like people who arrived after me are getting to leave early.  Here comes the bald guy with the blue shirt and the sheet in his hand.  I sure hope this is it.  It isn’t!   I really allowed myself to succumb to excitement that I was finally getting out of here.  I’m worried about my halibut.  That was expensive.

At least everyone, except No Shit, are wearing masks.  My little one had suggested we make Korean food today.  At 3:00AM, during a conf call I began searching for some of the ingredients she’d need on Amazon as they wouldn't be in any supermarket within driving distance of this part of New York State.  I found fish cakes and pickled radish as well as the sweet potato noodles and just about all of it would be ordered to arrive tomorrow, as long as I hit ‘send’ before noon. That seemed a day away before the dawn had risen.  It just turned 1:02PM. 

Off in the distance, beyond the Hyundai sign above No Shit's brow, is what I believe to be Slide Mountain, or some other suitably large Catskill plateau.  It’s hot out there.  The man walking across the lot is laboring with the heat.  My halibut . . . 



My phone rings on my laptop.  Toyota's calling.  And apparently they’d called me more than once.  “Yeah, so your car is ready.”  Well I’m seated twenty-five feet from you in the other room, where I told you I’d be."  I packed up my things and walked out the door and around the corner.  “Yeah, I tried you and got a google messenger message.  And it was strange.  You said you were going to be . . . “I said I’d be sitting in there.  I was in there.  This gentlemen (the guy in the blue shirt!) came in and our a dozen times.  I’ve been sitting there waiting for you guys.”  “Yeah, it’s been ready for a while.” 



Friday, 7/24/20



No comments:

Post a Comment