Sunday, February 16, 2014

Back to School




Back to school.  Lantern festival has passed, the sweet yuanxiao have been eaten and Chinese New Year holiday is over for my girls.  We did our best to get everyone in bed last night early.  We’ve been checking out the Olympics on the late side and I was told we had to kill it.  I was hoping on the off chance that CCTV might show T.J. Oshie’s overtime shoot out against the Russian team.  No dice.  We had the 1500 meter female speed skating and after a few spirited dashes we called it a night.



Earlier in the day I’d read the article in the New York Times about the U.S. hockey team victory over Russia and, like a fool, as I was to learn, I went to Youtube to see a clip.  I got the girls around to check it out.  Enter a search for “Oshie, shootout, Olympics.”  There’s the picture, cool.  Sit through the obligatory 15 second dental surgery commercial, and it’s . . . some kid in bad lighting discussing the shoot out.  Right.  OK, there’s a Reuters posting.  That’s got to be real.  But it’s still photos and someone talking.  What about this one?  Interviewing slavering Americans shouting “U.S.A., U.S.A.”  My daughters started to groan and peel off and after a while, I gave up. 

It dawned on me that some U.S. network had the U.S. rights to all video for the ceremony and no one else, seemingly, was allowed to post any footage on line.  I looked on non-U.S. video sites but also came up short.  I didn’t think to take the obvious step and find out precisely which U.S. network had the rights this year and simply go to their website.  I managed that this morning and finally saw the drama.  Oshie’s amazing to watch as he just glides in so slowly and fakes so effortlessly.  His hand to eye coordination must be stratospheric.  What is perhaps most seductive is, beside the sin qua non, that he scores, is his boyish smile as he sets out each time.

So we tried to go bed early, my self, definitely included.  You can’t go back to the 5:00AM wake up routine, lightly.  2:00AM I was startled awake by tears.  Usually that would be my little one, but my older one was thumping down the stairs, balling.  “What’s wrong?, What’s wrong?”  “I can’t go to sleep!  I’ve got to get up in four hours and I can’t go to bed.”  All but narcoleptic, 目不交接[1], is one problem I’ve rarely experienced.   I sat down with her and tried to give her a meditation technique of forcing the calmness from her head, slowly down to her toes on the exhale and to repeat it over and over.  Clutching for straws really, but miraculously, it worked. 

I’d mentioned I was reading Camus’ “The Stranger” with my older one.   Detached, lifeless gent moving through his absurd, Algerian world.  At the other end of the spectrum at the other end of the upstairs hall, I was reading my little one “Treasure Island.”  I’d never read it and sixty pages or so in, we’re having a blast.  So that’s where 98% of all pirate kitsch comes from.  Parrots on the shoulder, patches on the eye, stumps for legs,  “X marks the spot.”  "Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!"  As some readers know, we can get to feel rather dry and landlocked here in dusty Beijing, without any waterways to speak of in any sort of proximity.  We’ve just fitted out the boat in Bristol and been told of Long John Silver.  I’m looking forward to a dose of brine before bed for the foreseeable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Island



There were of course “pirates” in Chinese history.  I recall the half Japanese, half Chinese pirate / military leader Koxinga (a.k.a. Zheng Cheng Gong) (1624-1662) who was a Ming loyalist to resisted the Manchus, and ultimately expelled the Dutch East India company from Taiwan, where he made his base.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koxinga  The Japanese were often dismissed as “dwarf pirates” who harassed the Chinese coasts.  Earlier the Muslim, eunuch Admiral Zheng He, of course, sailed the high seas all the way to Africa and the Middle East on multiple ocassions.   But it’s not clear to me that, other than perhaps these gents, Chinese kids learn much of anything about Chinese maritime adventure.  Decidedly continental, yellow land power for so much of its history.

I just asked my wife, the default font of arbitration on such matters, if she ever learned about any other Chinese maritime heroes.  Dashing off for a coffee refill the oracle replied:  “I’ll think.” 

One friend shared with me some quartets by Franz Schubert yesterday, which was bright and clean while another old friend sent on some Amon Tobin that was grey and electronic.  But when I want to work and listen I always seem to find my way back to jazz, to hard bop mostly, myself.  Ted Curson is a Philadelphia born trumpeter who’s caressing the air just now.  Another Mingus band alum, this album, “Tears for Dolphy” from 1964 is majestic and has nicely reconnected me with Bill Barron on tenor who was in residence at my alma mater Wesleyan University for a spell.   This tune “East 6th St.” has me thinking about walking around on the only one they could be referring to.  Mr. Curson was active all the way till the end, and regularly played out in Finland of all places.  He only passed in 2012.  Another reminder to catch these old guardsmen before that generation has definitively passed.




[1] mùbùjiāojié:  lit. the eyelashes do not come together (idiom) / fig. to not sleep a wink

No comments:

Post a Comment