Sunday, February 9, 2014

Blue Skies, Puffy Clouds






Back in Weifang.  Back at The Farrington.  Fuhua Amusement Park, once again, outside, this time covered in blustery snow, still empty.  This our overnight way station on the pathway home.  This will be the last day of our Chinese New Year break travel through in Shandong.  Tonight we’ll be home, in Beijing.



A good thing, that.  Emails and to-do’s and must-do’s and ought to-do’s have all began to pile up, increasingly stale.  For this family-style drive about, tied as it is to familial obligations I just surrender control.  Normally I have the agenda well researched.  But certainly there is a certain calm to just deciding what to do, each day, as we rise, slowly broadening our understanding of this enormous province.

Packing up in yet another hotel room.  Empty water bottles, mandarin orange rinds gathered up, chucked into the waste bin. I followed a link on Rdio from Mulatu Astatke to some other contemporary African funk.  Karl Hector and the Malcouns drew my eye. Cool. They’re fabulous.  Two or three tunes in, I realized I’ve heard some of the cuts from this album “Sahara Swing” before.  Most of the album however is fresh and new.  Indeed, though the sound is classic seventies Afrobeat, and I’d otherwise assumed it was from the 70’s, but it was recorded recently in 2008.  The title song, Sahara Swing, is a lovely cacophony of activity with the vintage organ and the baritone sax gives it this basement level support that holds up the architecture so effortlessly on the melodic horn runs.  I hope we get a chance to see these Malcouns somewhere live, before too long.  None of the material I found on them could tell me where it is they hail from.  http://fleamarketfunk.com/2008/06/06/karl-hector-the-malcouns-sahara-swing/

Packed, with some time waiting for my wife to return to the room I came across this rather appropriate article for DustyBrine:  “China’s future energy security will depend on water?” https://www.chinadialogue.net/article/show/single/en/6693-China-s-future-energy-security-will-depend-on-water?utm_source=Chinadialogue+Update&utm_campaign=531c959193-A_B_TEST_Polluted_farmland&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5db8c84b96-531c959193-46388490    Coal mining, we learn within, is a exceptionally water intensive form of fuel extraction, and production.  China’s burgeoning coal demand will further deplete the fragile water table in the northern plain.  It is not merely the dust and pollution from coal mining we need to worry about in and around Beijing, but the acceleration of the aridity, as well:

“It takes 24 bathtubs full of water to extract and wash one tonne of coal. China’s top coal producing provinces produced 2.6 billion tonnes of coal in 2011, but only have water resources equivalent to 4.8 to 23.2 bathtubs of water per person per day.   Given this, surely it is time to ask if China has enough water to fuel its power expansion plans?”

As noted earlier there has been quite a bit of TV on this trip.  Stuffed hotel rooms seem to lend themselves to people warming the cathode ray. I just give up at some point, I suppose.  Two nights back my kids watched what must have been the next instalment of China’s “American Idol” called “I'm a Singer”  “wo shi ge shou” (我是歌手).  No one to my eyes or ears did anything remotely captivating.  Worse, it would seem, no one was eliminated from the last episode!   They were all back again.  We had to watch each one as they watched the other’s perform, and pretend to worry and pretend to cheer.  Finally after an excruciating hour with absolutely no dramatic tension, some guy with thick glasses was finally, decisively told he was finished and shown to an awaiting car outside and seen to depart.  “I was a singer” I commented.

This was not my only comment.  Like a reasonably intelligent house dog, I spoke back to the TV intermittently, while everyone else remained silent.  Every time I saw something that felt painfully disingenuous, milked with a long shot for emphasized veracity I’d bark “fake.”  My daughter’s took exception with this.  Surely, that girl wringing her hands is truly and utterly surprised by that decision.  His enthusiasm hasn’t been stage-managed.  Everyone wants everyone to win!

Later they were surfing and I had them pause on CNN for the opening night of the Olympics.  Kristina Amanpour had an interview with the two members of Pussy Riot who’d recently been released from prison.  “What did they think of Putin?” “What did they think of the Olympics?”  Despite some annoying translation lag, they were, characteristically brave and inspiring in their answers, commenting on the slave labor conditions in Russian prisons that sound no better than those in China.  “Real” I shouted.  “Real.”  “These girls are brave.  That is the ‘real’ spirit of rock and roll.  That’s punk.  That is hip-hop.  That is in the tradition of MLK and Malcolm X.  They are courageous and genuine.”  Two points for TV. 

It was not until last night though, that we actually got to see any of the actual Olympics. Once we settled in to the Farrington last night and word got out that we were in town an old friend of my wife’s called, insisting I head out with him and him mates drinking.  Oh dear.  That would be a comedy, until it was a tragedy.  “I am terribly sorry old friend, but I have a call with America in an hour which I must get ready for and I’ve another call first thing in the morning . . . and I have a back ache.  My wife got an ear lashing for what he assumed was her effort to keep me leashed.  Then, oddly, she got suckered in to heading out to join this fella and another few business partners for ‘just one drink.’  She’d almost certainly fare better than I would have. 

The girls and I settled in for an evening of CCTV’s coverage of the Sochi Olympics.  Infinitely preferable path to the first of sixteen or seventeen toasts.  They had the female short mogul and jump run on.  Amazing to watch these ladies knees absorb that hill.  Bang, bang, bang, bang.  I might have once been able to do something like that.  And then, the leap, rotating a full three-hundred-and-sixty degrees in air.  I could never even begin to do that.  “Real!” 

The men’s biathlon now, with Chinese narration.  It is an odd one to watch as they seem to need to keep cutting from this shot, to that.  Nordic gents running the board here.  Going all out in the final dash to the finish line and then, nearly every guy, collapsed in the snow as they exerted the last of their best efforts.  Once you give it all you ain’t got nothing left.   

But it was the female figure skaters that always seems to win everyone’s heart.  They simply look beautiful and move as if they are supernatural or some highly evolved new life form.  And it was a remarkable group of finalists that competed. Each one 尽善尽美[1].  Without the skills to score what precisely was simply great vs. utterly unbelievable, we all just sat agape watching each of the finalists.  And it was the petite fifteen-year-old Russian girl, one Julia Lipnitskaia who won.  Certainly, she seemed to laugh at the idea of gravity or dizziness as she leapt into her incomprehensible spin. Good for the home team.  Go Russia.

Speaking of which, doesn’t Sochi look beautiful?  I must say the east coast of the Black Sea is a bit of a mental void for me.  I’ve read about Georgia, I’ve read about Odessa, and Sevastopol but what exactly does it look like over there in the space between?  I was in Istanbul on the south west side of the Black Sea last summer and that was symphonic.  So I took a quick peek at an online map and told my girls to come have a look.  Surely that coast with all those mountains, must be extraordinary.  How important it must be for Russians all to consider this moment with the world’s attention fixed, when they used to hold the world’s attention without question and now struggle, one and all to redefine what the world’s largest country really is.

Midway through a five-hour journey.  



We’re driving along the G18 highway now, and the city of Dongying is off to he right.  There must be fourteen or more buildings over thirty stories tall.  You ever heard of Dongying?  Didn’t think so.  It’s an oil town.  Big U.S. investments, far bigger Chinese investments packed over there on that blunt peninsula not far from my wife’s ancestral village.  What is the coast like there on that promontory that forms an elbow for the province, into the sea?  No mountains there, though, just flat plains.  Oil towns in Shandong, like oil towns in Texas, out in the flats.  The last time we made our way through this road a few days ago, the air was thick and polluted.  This time, blue skies and puffy clouds.  How different it would be if every day were like this.  Thank goodness for the precipitation and for the wind. 




[1] jìnshànjìnměi: perfect (idiom); perfection / the best of all possible worlds / as good as it gets

No comments:

Post a Comment