Saturday, April 12, 2014

Green Ascendant




We’ll meet in a coffee shop early.  They’ll be room upstairs.  Sagafredo?  These guys are great.  I’ve still got a tattered frequent caffeinater card from last year somewhere in this pile of cards in my wallet.  Sagafredo have excellent espresso and you can ask them all day and they’re not going to put it in a paper cup for you.  You must drink it there.  They serve it with a little piece of chocolate that is irresistible

Upstairs is a smoking room.  One of our guys smokes.   He’ll be happy.  Get a seat by the window.  How bad can it be?  I live in Beijing.  A public space for smoking.  I notice my colleagues’ pack that has a bold, bland warning label.  “Smoking kills humans” or some such thing.  We talk China operation, talk Japan operation, talk about the next meeting we’re heading to. 

A public space where people come to smoke is an anachronism.  I know what this is, I know what this smells like and it is no longer something most  of the industrialized world allows.  The young woman smoking by herself can’t but look sad.  Some people are here to work.  Some are occupying the space, outside of home following the ritual of salarymen commuting to a city where they no longer have a job.   Later at the meeting I smell strongly of smoke.  It is everywhere on my clothes.  Out the window, west, there is an uninterrupted view straight over to Mount Fuji.  Within minutes it is gone, smothered in clouds and haze. 



Good meeting.  Import that it went well.  Many, many things could have fallen off, but they didn’t.  Lunch in a fine little restaurant by a canal in Naka-Meguro.  Cherry blossoms lined the street and though most had fallen, the transition I wrote about yesterday from fragile, temporal pink that is pushed aside in every hour of sunshine and wind by the green leaves that needn’t concern themselves with the tree’s reproduction.  They just want to drink in the sun’s energy. 



Wrap it up.  Bid folks en route to the airport adieu.  You, we’ll meet in an hour at Tamachi Station, for the next meeting.  While you and I can now debrief.  Yes, I agree it went well.  Send me this.  I’ll get you that.  Later tonight then?  Cool.  And then, alone on the Yamanote line that rings the great city.  Ads for contact lenses, ads for toothpaste that so unquestionably seductive that you gape for a moment till the train begins to slow and people move their way to the door and now you’re gaping at something else.



During this daytime ride the atmosphere is unerringly quiet. I wouldn’t know.  I have the Philly born pianist Bobby Timmons cut “Look Here” from the album that sounds like it was titled by an A&R man from that magic year of 1960 “This Here is Bobby Timmons.  You know it’s him after a moment, because there is only one guy who chops the keys that way on “Moanin,” which also appears on this album and which Art Blakey helped to popularize.  If you can’t imagine that song off the top of your head, I’m almost certain you’d nod with affirmation if you could hear his leading it off right now, with that punchy irresistible hook.  He died at 38, flown back to the U.S. from a tour in Europe.  He died of cirrhosis of the liver.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Timmons

I’m to rendez vous now with someone at the Tamachi Station Starbucks.  Sure.  I have no idea where it is, but have every expectation of coming upon it quickly.  I don’t.  Down on the street level there are any number of Japanese coffee house chains.  Head back up, over, down to the broad boulevard across the tracks. Gazing expectantly.  Walk a hundred yards over there, on a day that almost feels hot, in my suit, and turning to the left and gazing off, hoping to the right, realize there is nothing here.  I could walk a few hundred yards in either direction to where more shops appear to be but he would never have suggested anything so far, so casually. 

Then, like a scene from a predictable movie, or an ironic one like “the Holy Grail” the skies part and there is a shot up to a tower, with the name of the company in question.  Ah.  豁然开朗[1] He could only have chosen a place that lie between where he worked and the station.  Back over the tracks.  My feet hurt.  Still, my leaves are out, drinking up the clear city's energy.                                        




[1] huòránkāilǎng:  suddenly opens up to a wide panorama (idiom); to come to a wide clearing / fig. everything becomes clear at once / to achieve speedy enlightenment

No comments:

Post a Comment