Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Night I Was Born



 I seem to have turned 48.  I was just typing in the date into this Word document.  That date that you have to put into forms of one sort or another all year long, assumes a magical quality, when the globe-spin settles on your day itself.  I always used to love to see the physical newspaper with your date up there on the top.  It’s already one in the morning back home.  I went to the online site.  My date’s up there.  It glistens for me.


As with every day, I need to find a chengyu for the entry.  I looked for one that had the word “birthday” in it.  Why am I not surprised to find that there was only one and that it was a western pun that had nothing to do with the concept of a birthday.  If there is one “holiday” concept that struggles to span the divide from my wife’s worldview to my own, it is “birthday.”  We won’t go into it.  Let’s just say it’s “different.”  But, she like me was born 一丝不挂[1], and essential commonalities run deeper even than civilization.



I figured I’d look to see if there’d be any live music in town for this evening.  Usually there is one reason or another why we never get it together to go take in music as a family.  Today I get to insist.  I looked on line and there was a show that caught my eye.  The Ray Lema Quintet is in town.  I wasn’t familiar with the Congolese pianist, so I dug in. 

Rdio had about five of his albums from about ten to fifteen years back.  They’re good, if a bit wispy somehow to my ears.  I found a track or two from his latest album on youtube, that’s a fuller afro-bop swing and it settled it for me to call the venue and get us some seats for tonight. 

I looked up the spot.  It’s a reasonably convenient location.  Let me dial these guys up. “Hi, can book four seats for the Ray Lema show tonight?” I ask in Chinese.  The guy on the other line effectively responds in a thick, urban patois of non-service “Huh?  Oh.  You want what? Seats for tonight.  Um sure.”  “Well. Yes.  Can you put four down for tonight under Mr. Fang?” “Four.  OK.  You want to see the show?”  I’m wondering if I’ve got the wrong number.  The dude’s accent coupled with his attitude is just about indecipherable.  “Yeah, so I think you have some seats for five-hundred yuan each.  What are those like?  Are they near the place?”   I can’t recall the proper term for “stage.”  “Alright let me get this down . . . Mr. Fang?  Alright.  And so you want a zhengfeng fengzheng?”  He didn’t say that but with his dees-doos-dems diction I’m lost and I’m not sure I want to commit to buying anything with Snappy the helpful box office manager. 

So I cop out.  Never cop out.  But I copped out.  I called for the wife.  She’s busy.  Of  course.  I forcefully call for the wife, pleading that I need help on this one.  She’s busy.  “So, like, do you want five of the zhengfeng fengzheng or is your deal for like fuwuzhengfengli?”   “Um just a minute.”  “Honey can you hop on with this guy.  I’m trying to get four of the 500 yuan seats for this thing tonight.  Can’t you just . . . ?  “Who is this person?  Where is this place?”  “Reasonable, but irrelevant my love.  Just get four tickets for this evening please.  OK?”  Handing her the phone.  “Wei?  Wei?  Wei! WEI!  WEI!”  This isn’t going well.  

“Wei” means is the effective equivalent of “hello” when you get on the phone.  “Do you know what he did?”  “No honey, what did he do.”  “He asked me “why wei?”  That is so rude.  What is this place.”  “It’s like an art collective.  It seems fine.  Can’t you just call them back and nail it honey?” “I need to look at this place before I take my girls there.”  Oh dear.  “Fine, I’ll do it myself.”  I call the number back three times, no one answers.  OK.  Verified.  The guy’s inarticulate and a dick.  I fantasize calling the number seventeen times until someone answers the phone and then barking something absolutely inappropriate about their mother into the line, but reason this is a dumb way to spend my good-vibe morning on my birthday. Breathe. 

My birthday New York Times carries a gut-wrenching story over across the brine in South Korea.  A ferry on its way to Cheju Island, where I’ve imagined traveling to with my kids many times,  took a hard turn and capsized.  Now 273, mostly all students from one school, are missing and presumed dead.  The vice principal who survived the accident was found hanging from a tree, presumably a suicide.  The captain and first mate who were rescued are under arrest. 

In this modern era we can now share in the some of the final minutes of such a tragedy.  The students, suited up in life preservers were all texting their parents from aboard the ship and the Times had these messages translated for consideration.  The kids were all still in the hold.  Some parents counsel the kids to follow instructions, which is probably the same advice I would have given and makes sense until you realize the people who should have been organizing the evacuation were too busy being rescued. One father is telling his daughter to head up to the top of the ship so the rescuers can find her.  She says she can’t because there are too many people and the ship has already listed over.  

I shared these with my kids.  They are, as regular readers know, keen fans of all things South Korean and, as expected the texting exchanges hit them as well.  “Why did they just go up top?”  Why can’t you just hold your breath and swim to the top?”  “That girl should have listened to her father.”  “What does this line mean ‘has not been heard from since’ . . . ?"

I suggested, more than once, that my wife read the articles the kids had read as well.  “When I have time.”  She is still smarting from the encounter with the ‘please-don’t-come-to-our-venue’ ticket man.  Ah well.  It’s the birthday blues that happen every year.  “No bad vibes on my day.”  Impossible.  My younger daughter made me a salad.  That was sweet of her.  The carrot slices where the size of hockey pucks, but it was lovely.  I’ll let you know if we get our selves on to actually see Mr. Lema. If I do, I’ll have a musician to write about for Easter Sunday. 



Today, I took my advice from yesterday and dug into both Wilbur Ware, the bass player whom I wrote about and the other guy, whose solo it might have been but probably wasn’t on the Blue Mitchell number “Kinda Vague”, Sam Jones.  The two discs of Mr. Jones that Rdio has available are beautiful.  There is one from 1977 that is called “Something in Common” that comes on strong and an earlier album packed with tunes from that unbeatable hard bop year of 1960 “Soul Society” on Riverside.  Blue Mitchell himself is soloing as we speak on a track called “Off Color.”  And where as Mr. Ware’s playing was almost pared down pugilistic, this feels more like some swift moving figure skating.  

My older one baked me a cake.  The fact that the insides were still in batter form didn’t stop us from consuming most of it.  I’ve the window open in this writing room open.  The sun is beginning to shine.  (of course.) Across in the next yard, workmen are building something and spitting a lot.  I think I’m ready to try the dude at the jazz venue again to to get my seats.   Enjoy my day, wherever you are. 
 



[1] yīsībùguà:  not wearing one thread (idiom); absolutely naked / without a stitch of clothing / in one's birthday suit

No comments:

Post a Comment