Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I Hate This Music




I hate the music in the Four Points Sheraton, Futian, Shenzhen. It is not the first time I have come to this realization.  It would be one thing if one were accosted with this jarring assault when one checked in and then, moving on from the lobby, one could leave it behind.  You can’t.   When you check in the Four Points Sheraton Futian, Shenzhen, and the God-awful eighties mix begins to permeate your epidermis, you must resign myself to living out this experience for the foreseeable. 

Brian Adams or Simon Le Bon, whatever it is that orchestrates my check in, follows me after I’ve received my room keys.  This hotel is designed by an ill tempered child with ADD and a Lego set.  To get to the wonderful, posh room they've assigned me as a la-dee-da member of distinction, I need to hike for some time.  So I go to the elevator, and ride to the fifth floor.  From there I traipse across a hundred yards to the next tower where I get into another elevator.  Once in I must immediately insert my room key or the elevator will revert to auto-pilot and take me to wherever it thinks proper.



Whatever insufferable eighties or nineties pop music was playing as I made my way to the other-building-tower continues uninterrupted into the elevator.   The elevator stops, opens with a ding and the music continues as I step out into the hall.  Stop!  I want to escape from this music.  I dart around the hall and it follows me.  All speakers in all public spaces are coordinated so that all guests feel the magic of this nostalgic punishment.  Pushing my key into the door once and then again, finally, I am free from the soundtrack.  

Clearly, I am part of a demographic experiment.  Someone at corporate has decided the bargain travelers who make use this cheaper collection of Starwood properties will like this collection of music.  Someone has decided that if I have searched out this environment, I must be comparatively 愚昧无知[1].  Who else would willfully snap their gingers to this insult?  I am associated with bad taste.

Obviously, they conducted voluminous research on what mid-level managers who have approval for Four Points prices, want to hear when they step in to this environment.  You will be brought immediately back to the horseshit drivel that overwhelmed you as a teen when MTV was new, and hip and you watched it in search of some glimpse of distinction. 

The aspirational tastes of, say  mid-level Chinese managers who may be craving Deng Li Zhun, are clearly not of great importance.  Rather, Corporate has decided that the Four Points experience should be about reclaiming the youth of forty year old Americans with who grew up listening ot whatever was served them.   They must be the disproportionate demographic and the research says that if they have to walk around inconveniently across ill designed, multi building complexes, they will prefer doing so remembering the faded afterglow of a popular music tradition that was absolutely and utterly spent, even as it waxed flush, with commercial success.  Furthermore, they’ll want to hear it loud.

In the Meridien chain on the next rung or two up the Starwood ladder, the they play a more challenging mix of global music that some DJ who must be wearing a shit eating grin for having secured such a lucrative contract, assembled.  There are glimpses of salsa, and West African funk and samba.  Clearly the Meriden assumes that a disproportionate number of its patrons do not want to hear Bryan Adams or Simon Le Bon, when they go to their rooms.  Similarly they seem to know that people with nuanced appreciation for music will get annoyed if it chases them into every room and atmosphere they walk into. 

I appreciate the Starwood chain for the membership program, which works well in my part of the world and is easy to make use of when I vacation elsewhere.  It’s a huge webbing of connectivity, they treat regular members well and it largely works for me.  But a chain is a chain.  And continuity across continents means you have to run into the same noise pollution in Bangalore that you do in Vienna that you do in Qingdao.  Confronted randomly it is irrelevant.  Confronted systematically it feels as if one is being force-fed.  One dreads one’s assignation in a marketing demographic.



Now who was Fats Navarro?  I’ve got his big nineteen forties confidence on a live version of “Good Bait” which must be a romantic metaphor rather than anything to do with fishing, in my ears as I fly up the coast of China from Shenzhen back to Beijing.  Air China provides a WiFi service on this flight.  Cool.  I have found the hot spot but cannot get on.  I fear that it is only for show.  So, much as I would like, I can’t go through my ritual of looking up Fats Navarro’s wiki page or his obituary in some likely city paper, until I land.  I believe he may, like Al Cohn and Stan Getz have been part of Woody Herman’s “Thundering Herd”, but I will have to double check this when I land. 

In the mean time I am fortunate enough to have an in flight entertainment video to try to avoid.  For two and half hours now, they have shown clips of the Li River in Guilin with drooping bamboo set below undulating karst mountains.  I haven’t been there since 1994 and I can only imagine that it is a rather wretched scene of over-saturation there these days.  In-flight forces everyone to watch this, or as has now suddenly appeared, cat tricks.  Pesky kittens are knocking balls around and generally behaving in a cute manner that make me want to set a brace of Alsatians loose. 

Now turbulence again.  In the west or indeed in just about anywhere else in the world besides North Korea, the pilot could adjust his flight plan based upon what other pilots have radioed in, from the previous flight plans.  In China this is forbidden by the local air force and so, symbolically, we are required to endure.  Someone to my right just let out a scream.  Don’t worry darling.  We’re all right.  I’ve been through worse.  National defense wants you to be tough. 


Late update, Fats Navarro was swirled in my mind with all those turbulence with that other bopper with the memorable name, Zoot Sims.  The later did play sax with Woody Herman, the prior a trumpet player, did not, that I can see.  Navarro died real young, in1950 at the age of 26 suffering from tuberculosis, heroin addiction and, as the name suggests, a weight problem. I've got a disc from Rido on now called "Goin to Minton's" that my ears can easily detect Charlie Parker's on.  The song on which he is blowing brilliantly, is called "Fat Boy."







[1] yúmèiwúzhī:  stupid and ignorant (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment