Monday, May 26, 2014

Groceries on Day of No Importance




Down with something.  Started out yesterday morning. The runs all day.  Then, towards the night, whether as a result this inability to hold things, or as a cold grew in ascendance I got weaker and weaker.  Crashed out early.  Slept late.  More than anything I notice how long it’s been since I’ve been sick.  Two hundred and forty one days running I don’t think I’ve had to write about being under the weather once, when it wasn’t self imposed. 

Sickness notwithstanding I needed to do a shop this morning.  The bright sun and ferocious fresh-off-the-Gobi-desert wind were so at odds with the murky weakness I felt inside.  Not sure why, but I reached for the gelatinous Boards of Canada album, “Geogaddi” which has the commentator saying things like “When lava flows underwater it behaves differently.”  It and the sun and wind and my haze gave the morning a strange, “high-dynamic-range” 1950s postcard look to my suburban Beijing, like it was a day of no importance or the last day of the world.



Tossed fitfully last night.  But this was not merely a function of being under the weather.  I had just finished reading the second ten pages of “1984” to my older daughter last night before I went to bed.  This has long been planned.  I couldn’t wait to finish “A Brave New World” so we could begin.  And whereas Huxley’s vision of manipulated, happy passivity, may ultimately be a more realistic pathway for long term, post modern manipulation, or at least seem a more likely American cautionary tale, Orwell writes so well and, written of course in 1948 has more too say about the nightmares that were to immediately transpire in China or were already underway in Europe.

I think I may have had half a dozen toss and turns, emerging from a “Two Minute Hate” session here, or looking around defensively as I wrote in a journal entry there.  Guilty of 执法犯法[1] writing down your thoughts freely is a crime!  My daughter is wonderfully curious.  “Why does he hate the girl?”  “How many countries are there in this world?” “Can’t you just leave?”  She’s familiar with “Animal Farm” which we read together a few years back.  So instead of Snowball, we have Emanuel Goldstein as the Trotsky fill-in, etc..  It is already such a bleak and inescapable life sentence, twenty pages in I wasn’t prepared for how effectively it would lock me in, during my dreams, as well. 

Back now from my morning shop.  It can’t be “1984” when you have bags and bags of groceries to unload.  Our local market has built out the back and introduced a new, brightly lit meat section.  There are a few more pre-cut selections of meat and yet I don’t think the sourcing, preparation or ultimately the quality of what it is you buy has changed in any way.  It just looks brighter and cleaner.  My wife, accordingly now thinks its OK to buy meat there.   How comparatively fortunate we are to have such fretful concerns like where to buy meat and cheese, and how to get over the common cold, as the vexing matters of the day. 



Listening to our man Clifford Jordan the other day I came across dozens of tracks I knew as recorded under Kenny Dorham’s name.  An archetype for all that’s underrated, he’s blowing his trumpet now, filling up this study, staring down my cold with his attack.  This is a 1957 set I hadn’t heard before called “Round About Midnight At the Café” and now, we’ve got “Autumn in New York” on.  It is such a beautiful, moody feeling that casts you somehow immediately back into the middle of the Manhattan in your memories. 

Do you remember the scene in “Casablanca” where Bogie as Rick is talking with the Nazi officer, Major Strasser about whether Rick can imagine the Nazi’s in Paris, or London or . . .
Major Strasser:  “How about New York?”
Rick:  “Well there are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn’t advise you to try to invade. “

What New Yorker can watch that moment and not feel a rush?  Yeah. You got that right.  Like he said!”  It “feels” like New York City is a place that could never have been tamed by the Nazis or by soma or by Big Brother.  The swirling, expressive, greedy home to anyone is always to remain unbowed.  But there were places you wouldn’t have advised people to invade in 1930s’ Shanghai either, and they did, and, in time, it was all over.  

I fear we need new; plausible, dystopian metaphors to consider and have unsettle us when we sleep so we’re cognizant when were awake, and buying groceries on a nondescript windy day.  For now I’m content to be anachronistically shaken in the masterful hands of Mr. Blair, from Bihar. 



[1] zhīfǎfànfǎ: to know the law and break it (idiom); consciously going against the rules

No comments:

Post a Comment