Thursday, May 1, 2014

Nightcrawlin




This family is on a roll.  Last night I got them all to go see live music again.  We’ve family friends who invited us to dinner and I knew they’d go see some music at the drop of a hat.  Looked on line.  Was hoping for some live bebop, but rather I came across this:

“The Nightcrawlers is possibly the only authentic Chicago blues band in mainland China.”

Hmm.  Intriguing.  But how true?  Hard to verify.  I looked for some links to the band elsewhere but came up with nothing. Looked around for alternatives but nothing else really seemed promising.  Fine.  Blues.  I’ve played the girls enough old blues around the kitchen in the morning.  Even if they’re schlocky it will be a descent lesson in discernment. 



We had dinner at one of these “newer” French restaurants that are springing up across town.  This one specializes in steak.  If I cook stake rare or medium rare at home it’s dead on arrival with the Mrs. Sometimes if you view a large piece of meat served on a plate with a knife and fork in hand through Chinese eyes it can seem a bit barbaric.  Bloody, all the more so.  So this place was smart, they offered patrons photos of the meat prepared at different percentages of cooking.  My wife and daughter all ordered “well done!” out of habit and I the rare.  Then later my friends laughed when the well-done pair complained that their meat was very tough.  Here, try a piece of this . . . “oh, wow, I see.”

We made our way across town with a faulty mapping app and a call to the venue.  It’s over by Jiaodaokou in the Dongcheng district, which is precisely where my wife and I lived about fifteen years ago.  Miraculously we found a parking place in the hutong and filed into to smoky, dim lit joint.  I know my older daughter (13) had really enjoyed the Ray Lema show, I’d written about, though it was a more civilized environment.  Quickly she complained once and then again about the smoke. 

It dawned on me that these poor kids have no experience really, with a smoke filled environment.  This is, a good thing.  They’ll live longer.  And if you’ve no experience with it, it must be a drag.  All the adults at the table conferred that their parents had all smoked when we were kids.  And up until a few years ago, nearly anywhere you’d go in the world, people would smoke.  It’s banned in most places in Beijing, but clubs still seem to be acceptable.  And if you’re like me you just deal and reckon with the fact that your clothes smell like nicotine, in the morning.  But my daughter went to a back room section, to escape the 乌烟瘴气[1] and sat  alone at a booth where we could still see here, We-chatting with her friends.

And in so doing she missed, or compromised her viewing of a very solid blues performance.  Rhythm section was tight, harp player could blow, and the lead guitarist was badass.  Before I knew it I was yelling things out loud, which is arguably what you want to have happen to you at a blues show.  The guitarists rendition of the Freddie King classic “Hideaway” was delicious.  That’s a mighty demanding number, that Clapton famously copied and this gent had it down, note for note and then some. My only critique on this gent, whose name is apparently WeiWei, was that should have turned up louder when he solo’d.  I could hear him, but I wanted to feel a tube-amp sound push me back and cut me open.  He had the chops to do so, but not the amplitude.  The drummer, who is apparently the Chicago anchor of the squad, with some notable blues pedigree, was a bit understated on the vocals but all and all, we were digging it.  You get a chance to see them, I bet you’ll dig the Nightcrawlers.



Here is the only other thing I could find about these earthworms, searching on line, for the same show we saw, in CitiWeekend.

The drummer, Tom Wilson, is a Chicago town Blues veteran. He has played and toured with major players from America's blues capital.  He has shared the stage with the likes of: Junior Wells, Hubert Sumlin, John Lee Hooker, Willy Dixon, Koko Taylor, Luther Allison, Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, James Cotton and the Muddy Waters legendary blues band among others.  He lays down a shuffle beat that is the epitome of Chicago blues rhythm . His steady shuffle, mojo and jungle beats have been a driving force for many of Americas top blues acts for over thirty-five years. He is now joining forces with harmonica wizard Claudio, guitar master WeiWei and bassman Wang Zheng.

Now listen here.  South Korea has all sorts of remarkable, punch-above-their-weight prowess for technology, media and potentially for geopolitics.  And you can’t be that way without stepping on some toes now and then.  But let’s get one thing straight, LG, leave the Palisades alone, would you?  If you want to build a tall building, build it in Manhattan or even Newark for God’s sake, but those cliffs are sacred.  Build something flashy there, piss enough people off and its gonna come back to bite you.  I’m telling you.  How is that Chris Christy on the right and Corry Booker on the left all have nothing to say?  It’s enough to make you wish for an intervention from the Dear Leader. 





[1] wūyānzhàngqì:  foul black smoke atmosphere (idiom); fig. everything in a tremendous mess / pandemonium reigns

No comments:

Post a Comment