Tuesday, May 13, 2014

It Got Worse




It got worse.  It is now well into my twenty-fifth hour or so in Guilin.  I never used to have anything, whatsoever against Guilin.   It will now take a lottery winning moment or some other remarkable windfall to erase the pungent ass-wart that my mind will conjure as a result of these twenty-five hours spent here.

When last we spoke I was in a hotel in Guilin, blithely noting this and that compromise.  Shortly thereafter my roommate and sixty other hapless travelers piled into a bus and shot off to the airport.  I was communicating with a colleague as I recall about whether or not I would make it to Hong Kong by 5:00PM.  It is now 9:22PM.  I am still in Guilin. 




It all seemed rather reasonable, (as my onward destination does to me now), the departure time was to be 2:00PM.  I settled in to bad coffee and worse instant noodles at the Guilin airport lounge and waited.  At 2:00PM we were told to board the plane.  This is about the only intelligible thing we had been told, since we heard “Ladies and Gentlemen, this flight is canceled.”

I needn’t belabor it.  You can tell how this will end.  We got on the plane.  Waited an hour and then got a message that the plane was somehow having mechanical problems.  At this point I began to worry first that other passengers would begin to tear the seats out.  My moment would come.  We waited another hour and were told to get off.  Departing I told the staff, who’d looked so professional and glad to see us, only sixty-three minutes ago, that it wasn’t their fault but that the pilot should apologize.  As if on cue the pilot opened the door, I repeated my suggestion and he immediately apologized, which wasn’t at all satisfying. 

Back in the boarding area we were trapped in the “already passed immigration” nether-zone and forced to wait, with no news.  I got increasingly furious along with everyone else, stomped around, shouted aimless inquiries to people who were powerless, strode up to immigration authorities and demanded things that that they couldn’t abide. A crowd was at the gate door, 跌脚捶胸[1] with two hapless staff.

The girl in the lounge had the number for the “person at Air China in charge.”  I called him.  He made the mistake of saying “he didn’t have free time to address this” and I flipped out.  After yelling a while I decided to give his number to about a dozen other angry people over at mob central where I kept walking back to every few minutes.  A gerbil pacing back and forth I tried travel services, my wife, friends, and eventually discerned that the best course of action was to cajole my way out passed immigration and buy a new ticket elsewhere.  After an exhausting discussion with the lads from boarder control, I was allowed to exit.  At no point during all this did Air China offer anything intelligent to say other than, “we don’t know.”



I opted to simply pursue a direct ticket to my next destination city Shenzhen.  CTRIP the China online travel service would not serve me as I was without a domestic Chinese credit card for flight within a twenty-four hour period. Many, many other things could have gone wrong but didn’t and before long I had a new ticket to Shenzhen from the counter outside and paused to consider how best to spend the next seven hours here Guilin International. 

 I bumped into one hapless French woman with a young boy in tow, who couldn’t access cash and was denied use of a credit card.  I thought of all the times I’ve traveled with kids and imagined what a considerably deeper gargle with a cucumber day this would have been if my children had been with me.  I paused to help her in any way I could, mostly negotiating with frustrated functionaries.  Eventually, we got her a ticket and she was on her way, as well. 

Now it is 9:39PM.  Yet another stride pianist whom I’d never heard of is trying his best to cool me down.  “Anitra’s Dance” by Donald Lambert recorded around 1951 is beginning to move me on, warm, live, determined.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Lambert  I’ve just under two more hours to kill, here in the Guilin International Airport.  Is it just me or is the Guiyang waitress here at the airport restaurant exceptionally polite.  This too, is helping. 

I confess to you tender reader, if I strut out on to the tarmac one more time in this globe-spin to find that a flight is cancelled or a plane is malfunctioning or inclement weather is limiting options, I may go the way of our friend the U.S. Postal worker . . .  May this confessional serve as Exhibit A;  said gent, boarded the plane with a clear, head, and without specific malice aforethought, prepared for and expecting the worse, but full of hope, nonetheless that his time in Guilin was now properly winding down.





[1] diējiǎochuíxiōng:  lit. stamping and beating the chest (idiom); fig. angry or stressed about something.



No comments:

Post a Comment