Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Positively Don't Want to Switch




I’m afraid I’ve no choice but to continue on with yet another of these: ‘Blog entries from thirty thousand feet’ blog entries.  Back over Alaska now on an Air China flight.  I’m heading home.  When I got on board this flight, I noticed dozens and dozens of students.  They all had orange tee shirts on. Statistically one is aware that plane loads of Chinese kids are visiting America every day.  I’m now sitting amidst the proof.    

One of these young people was waiting for me in my seat.  He wanted to trade seats so he could sit with his friends.  His English was rather rough and we switched to Chinese.  His seat was in the back.  “Oh yes, it is an aisle” he said, as we headed back.  Upon arriving he actually had a window slot in a veritable ghetto of orange tee shirts.  I told him “sorry, but I really don’t want to switch.”  And then, he became grumpy, which was somehow the kiss of death. If he’d have pleaded with me, cracked a joke, smiled, I might have softened.  Entitled, and surprised however, that he wasn’t getting what he wanted as he seemingly otherwise always had, he did wonders for my selfishness.  He probably feels 恨之入骨[1] to your tender author but I fly to often to be accommodating.



This was one of those flights that took off at 1:30AM.  Everyone is wisely asleep.  As I look about there are only one or two offending screens I have to ignore.  It’s light outside once again.  The sun never sets at the North Pole in summer.  I’d like to be able to have a look, but I had my chance and obviously passed on that. 

I asked a friend to come meet me at LAX for the few hours I’d had, just now, switching planes.  Somehow I imagined driving off to Santa Monica and dining in some fusion restaurant by the sea.  As it was, I got in an hour late and we wound up trying to find a place there in LAX.  What a compromise that place is.  Walking from one terminal to another at 11:00PM there were decidedly slim pickings.  We made our way over to terminal two where Air China was located.  “Any place you can recommend to eat?”  No.  She had none.  “There’s a Starbucks downstairs.” 

I know this Starbucks, in the arrival area.  So I had a fruit juice and my friend a muffin and we caught up on things at a table beside the endless queue of people who were in line there, as things moved towards midnight.  My friend is an artist and he worked as we talked at his latest creation while we sat there.  A young kid walked by and said: “That is bugged out. Wild man.  Wild.”  I said: “hey thanks.” Even though it wasn’t anything I’d done, to fill the silence.  My friend didn’t respond, as if fully aware and in agreement with the diagnosis that his work was “bugged out.”  Eventually did thank the young man for his commentary, and continued on with his drawing.   

Sitting there, it was a rather helpful Starbucks playlist that choreographed the discussion.  I was describing some momentum of mine and some anthemic Aerosmith song began to rock away.  Then a Monk tune and a Hank Mobley song followed one, after the other and it brought us both back to the time we’d worked together at the Village Gate at Bleeker and McDougal.  Later, pressing hard on a particular point, challenging my friend to think about what he was saying: we both paused, took note and laughed as Dylan’s “Positively Fourth Street” began to play. 



Once we heard it, we paused and listened. I can remember reading something by Joni Mitchell where she stated that this tune of his that really changed it all for her.  I guess there hadn’t really been such a sharp and biting take-down like that on the airwaves before.  To me, it always feels like one of the first punk rock songs, smart, cutting, unfiltered.  His disdain is so sharp and his delivery so restrained as if he’s mastering all the bile within him, that you can’t ignore the details of the story.  And once again I found myself imagining the person he’s talking about as she walks up and stands inside his shoes. 

We packed up our things and something funky came on the air that I didn’t recognize.  More than ever this gets to me and I used Shazam to discern that we had Boogaloo Joe Jones on the guitar with the tune “Boogaloo Joe” from 1969 release of the same name, up their floating about behind the LAX arrival noise.  With a name like Joe Jones, he needed something up front to distinguish himself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogaloo_Joe_Jones 

The stewardess tells me we have seven hours left to go . . . 




[1] hènzhīrùgǔ:  to hate somebody to the bone (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment