Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Ten Stops Along the Way




I’ve a friend in Beijing whom I’d asked about Portugal.  “Any place outside of Lisbon that is a must-see?” “Yes, Porto.”  Hmm.  It would mean a three hundred kilometre drive north.  Then, the following day, I’d need to drive five hundred kilometers the opposite direction, back down south to the Algarve.  I considered the photos of the riverfront.  OK, we're going.   

The car has a USB outlet, which is great for the iPhone charge, but I can’t get the device to play on the car stereo for the life of me.  Instead, we’ll make do with the iPhone’s built in speaker which, with the right music, is audible over the aircon. I’d followed organist Larry Young to multi-instrument the work of Sam Rivers, who plays on the former’s 1964 classic, “Into Somethin’,” which I’ve had and dug for years.  Mr. Rivers’ contribution on that disc always stood out in my mind, as I knew nothing of his other work.  I had on the album "Contours" he recorded a year later, 1965. I’m not usually a huge fan of the soprano sax but he is cutting it up in a way I couldn't ignore, as we raced up the A1 Highway, on this tune “Point of Many Returns.”

I’d thrown the Sheraton hotel destination into Google Maps and was promptly lead on a ridiculous two-hour goose-chase on the wrong side of the Douro River, looking for the address.  Eventually a lovely family drove me to the destination, as it was plotted, an abandoned town house on a street with no lights.  “Thank you but this can’t be it.”  Ahh, the Sheraton . . .  Oh, the Sheraton?  but that is in Poroto" "Yes, precisely, I’m going to Porto."  But this is the other side of the river.  I've long realized this, but thought that was all part of the Sheraton folks, plan.  Remarkably kind this family rescued us from a night of more nonsense and they drove ahead of me and took me to the right location, which we made it to by 11:00PM.  All I could say beyond “Obrigado” was a heartfelt: “Have a lovely life.”

Sitting now, back across the River Douro, looking up at the magnificent run of pastel buildings and orange tiled roofs terraced down and down and down to the waters edge, from beneath the Tower of Clerics which my younger one and I had just surmounted, I’m glad we came.  My older daughter made an interesting observation as we waited for meat pies and olives:  the view was somehow more magnificent, in the shadows of evening time, when we were lost and harried that it was now, in the sunlight, at our leisure.  She’s right. 



The Lonely Planet had a walking tour of the city, that seemed about the right pace for us with only a few hours to take all of Portugal’s second city in.  Ten sites recommended, beginning with the afore mentioned tower, and winding up on the esplanade where we were currently, still waiting, for our lunch.  “What are we going to do here?”  “Here, it’s my first time in Porto too, read these two paragraphs.”  “I know but what are we doing?”  “Read the book, we’re heading down hill, crossing the river and having lunch. There are ten stops, we have nine more to go.”   One down with an all down-hill way to go and they were already 筋疲力尽[1].

Rua Da Clerics and Rua Da Flores must have been marvels when they were constructed.  I tried to draw my daughter’s attention to the balconies.  Imagine a . . . a . . . a hot guy, playing guitar singing to you up on your balcony and me coming up from behind you, and throwing a shoe at this hot guy and then you turning and punching me . . .”  Nice try dad.  The day before we’d blown through Sintra, outside of Lisbon and the faux Gothic fantasy palace of Quinta da Regaleira, that most assuredly did work.  “This is on my list of places to return to.”  But the Baroque streets of Porto, down at the post-imperial heel, weren’t having the same impact. 

The train station, with its remarkable, blue tiled narrative to Portuguese travel, interior, seemed to have a greater impact.  “It’s kind of like Grand Central Station.”  “OK.  I’ll grant you that.” It's certainly not like Beijing's South Station. The Cathedral up the hill is, like most of the Portuguese churches I’ve seen to-date a bit rough-hewn.  It’s useful for explaining what the difference between Romanesque and Gothic is.   The two main towers in the front are more imposing than inspiring.  The flying buttresses on the side, more functional than fantastic.  The left window of the knave was concreted over.  The remarkable medieval hush still swallows all as you walk into a building like this, but it isn’t enough somehow, as you try to convey the majesty that these buildings represented when there were no other “indoor” spaces larger than a room or two.  I found I kept saying: “someday we’ll go to Chartres and you’ll see devastating stain glass.  Someday I’ll show you the flying buttresses of Notre Dame and you’ll see what I mean.”

The Baroque finery of the other churches on our tour, Misericordia Church of Porto and the Church of São Francisco, similarly dazzle but fail to ultimately delight one, or provide one with what’s needed to rest your case that medieval churches are wonderful.  I find all the golden, swirling puffery a bit schmaltzy, layering over the primal medieval facades.  This, I tried to explain is what the Lutherans and the Calvinists were responding to when they wanted to strip it all out and have a simple, whitewashed focus on a single, unadorned cross. 

By the time we reached number 8 out of 10 on the tour, their spirits were lifting.  All that remained after this was crossing the bridge and finding a place to eat.  How hard could that be?  And we stopped before hand in the simple, medieval town house of Henry the (Infant) Navigator’s birthplace.  The museum was closed, but it didn’t matter.  We sat in the courtyard and considered the arch they had, reconstructed and propped up, block atop block.  “How come they lost the ability to make an arch?”  Once Rome fell, most of the written knowledge was lost.  People tried to build arches, but the stones would fall, as they’d place the final bits in.  So they’d stare at the old Roman arches and wonder, awed by their ability, that they couldn’t seem to match.  Finally, but the time this building was built, they had begun to recover arts like building arches. 



The Dom Luis I Bridge was built around the same time as the Brooklyn Bridge, on much more modest scale though in its day, for a few years, it was the largest bridge in the world. But with its two tiered approach and surfeit of girders it makes for a fitting, modernist testimony to linking this jewel of a city elsewhere.  Here on the other side, its all about Port wine and wines that bear the name of the River Douro, none of which I can sample, as I’ve got 500 kilometers of driving ahead of me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Lu%C3%ADs_Bridge

"Hi?  Yes.  Can you check in the back and see what happened to our food?  And I’ll need a second double espresso, with the check."  See you next down in Portugal’s Mediterranean Algarve. 




[1] jīnpílìjìn:  body weary, strength exhausted (idiom); extremely tired / spent



No comments:

Post a Comment