Sunday, July 13, 2014

View From the Maelstrom




Somewhere up and over the Bering Straights just now.  There is a television screen in front of me broadcasting Americans having predictable complications.   To the right and the left is the same projection.   If my eyes gaze upward to the left I’m drawn in to another representation of dental-surgery Americans sharing trite things passionately.  I can train my eyes to the packets of darkness that are not occupied by the cathode projection, but in every periphery a screen draws you off.



Flying in economy is OK.  This, if the two middle seats on a row of four are open.  All the better if the gent on the other end is a mate.  No, you're not offered cheap champagne as you sit waiting to depart, and it'll be some stewed meat rather than a fillet but other than this there is nothing else you’d really want to secure in business class if you had this much space.   I’m overdue for some sleep and this particular entry process may only go so far. 

Flying about I’m usually on Air China and have ample room to make fun of their in-flight entertainment on shanzhai Candid Camera and Mr. Bean programming.  I never listen but am always forced to watch whatever’s broadcast.  Right now I’m am compelled to watch, (while Ali Akbarh Khan plays beautifully in my ears), a show about tropical fish.  Mind you, I actually think tropical fish are interesting.  What is odd though  is that I have found my eyes being pulled to a nonsense tier-two infotainment and my mind assumed I was on Air China.  Yes, it was so bad it had an Air China quality to it, and I had to pause and consider that this was the best that American soft power could project.  Crayfish are settling now in the tank.

Enough of these men on the electric organ.  I’ve got Shirley Scott keeping thing sweltering with the 1963 release “Great Scott” and the song of the moment: “The Scott”  It is a very rich and flat attack that Ms. Scott lays out.  I wonder if there is any live footage of her playing like this. (There is!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJ_ho8hvLE )  How hard it must have been for women to be taken seriously in any jazz context other than vocal.  She poaches the sound till it settles down soft, on this later tune, “Nothing Ever Changes My Love.”  I’ve got to look up just who this lady is. (Philly born) Good for her. 

On the inescapable screen omphalus that United swears is entertainment, people are reintroducing sea turtles into the ocean.  There is a crowd.  It is as if some remarkable extra terrestrial is being baptized.  Everyone in this perky silent experience feels so good about themselves.  We’re serious about saving animals.  That is absolutely clear.  It’s a sea turtle! That's right.  They are, as a group, endangered.  There is danger.  If you save mosquito from peril you are an idiot.  But help a sea turtle to bury its eggs and then carry it back down to the ocean?  That’s rectifying something in danger.  Who decided upon this broadcast?

Shirley Soctt sounds very assertive.  I like it.  The paired down accompaniment is perfect.  It’s just her and a drummer.   The TV now has people walking in to a room aggressively.  They live an apartment that is so big as to be unbelievable, for anyone who isn’t living in down town Oklahoma City.  It’s coming up the mid-time moments of this flight.  Perhaps I should stroll to the back and see if they have a bowl of bananas out there.  They don't.  "would you like the water or the water?"  

I had meant to bring one book on this flight, but wound up bringing another.  I’ve got a classic old collection of Sinology essays.  This is a collection I’ve read before.  On Amazon I found a second hand version of a book, which I used to own:  “The Chairman’s New Clothes,” which is largely a collection of essays about the Cultural Revolution.  Simon Leys is confrontational sharp in his monthly journal-like examination that collective insanity from which so many suffered. 



Here is Simon Leys’ real-time view into the maelstrom, as 天崩地裂[1] without the repose of an historian's distance: 

“Certain Western commentators insist on taking the official title literally, basing their understanding of a revolution in Chinese culture or Chinese civilization the Chinese term wen hua permits this double interpretation.  In the context of such an inspiring theme, any attempt to reduce this remarkable to the mean and trivial dimension of a “power struggle” rings painfully, if not slanderously in a Western maoists ears.  Chinese maoists are less squeamish:  the definition of the “Cultural Revolution” as a “power struggle” (chuan li tou cheng) was in fact not dreamed up by the regime’s enemies, it was the official definition used by Peiking, and was constantly repeated in the editorials of the People’s Daily, The Liberation Army Daily, and the Red Flag from the beginning of 1967, when the movement was sufficiently advanced to be able to do away with the protection of the cultural smokescreen behind which it had first set out.

One immediately gets a sense of Leys’ courage to state what is now rather obvious but that the time, writing in France in 1967 must have been like kerosene at a campfire. I’m thinking back to what is now I suppose, fifteen years ago, when I read these for the first time.  I can remember feeling like I was in the presence of greatness.  Here was someone who’s writing was so grounded, and effortless and his critique so piercing.  How could I have been reading about all this as long as I had and never heard of Simon Leys?  That's what I'd thought then.  Where is the contemporary version of this sort of brave, informed, contrarian reporting today?
  




[1] tiānbēngdìliè: heaven falls and earth rends (idiom); rocked by a major disaster / fig. violent revolution / major social upheaval

No comments:

Post a Comment