Tuesday, August 26, 2014

There's No Pleasing Some People




I want to like the subway. Subways are vital routes of blood flow in New York.  In Tokyo the breadth and convenience are simply inspiring.  When I take the train or the plane to Shanghai’s Hongqiao terminus-cum-airport, I can walk over to the subway, get a seat and ride straight out to my likely destination on one line.   But in Beijing, it’s different. 

I should be a big fan of this Line Fifteen, which I watched being built and which carried so much promise for convenience.  It comes in from Shunyi city and there is an enormous, above ground station next to the enormous, above ground “Chinese International Convention Center,” which is not much older than then the subway line, but already looks tarnished, with rust stained walls and vast emptiness most of the time, save when there is an auto show and residents hunker down and drive back roads, to avoid the throngs. 



If Line Fifteen were designed for, say, commuters, as this is, in part, a commuting community, the line would whisk you in to the city and get you to a relevant transfer station like San Yuan Qiao or Shao Yao Ju, quickly.   Rather, this line take a hard turn and drops you off at the satellite city of Wang Jing.  Wang Jing is where my children like to go to buy “cool” pens and erasers.  Wang Jing happens to be where you can find authentic Korean food in Beijing.  Wang Jing has, like every where else, gone through an extreme makeover and now has a slew of high rises and office towers and I suppose if I worked for say Sony or Siemens who have offices there, (at least they once did) it would presumably be convenient.  But for me, trying to get down town quickly, to meetings, it is a pointless detour. 

When you change at Wang Jing West station, you need to change for Line Thirteen.  Alas, this is another pointless appendage line that was built to round-out reach across the northern part of the city, and drop you at other terminus closer to the city’s gate.  But Line Thirteen doesn’t take you in or more importantly, through the city.  In my case I must take it one more stop, to change for Line Ten, which, finally, does have a progression, around the town.  Line Ten is the one I can remember bitching about there not being, back in the late nineties.  “ahh, if only there was a subway that traced the third ring road, wouldn’t that be grand.”  But I get ahead of myself.

First you have to navigate the way from the Line Fifteen to Line Thirteen at Wang Jing West station, which looks like an obstacle course from Battle of the Network Stars.  It makes the annoyance of the walking the Bleecker Street Station on the Lexington Avenue Line over through to the Broadway Lafayette on the F Train, seem simple and well thought out.  It’s a long trek, involving many people, many stairs, outdoor walkways over highways till finally you’ve got your connection. 

One stop and a few hundred yards more of walking and you can board Line Ten.  Now, I can access most of what I need, save, of course, a seat.  There are other things one could complain about.  The silly bag check that presumably could find a Simon-Bar-Sinister ticking bomb but not much else wastes time needlessly, as the inspection gals chat with their friends while your bag sails through.  The rough, - we’re piling in, before you can get out- aesthetic at every stop.  Smells are strong, signs are confusing, oh dear.  It’s like Graham Chapman as Brian says to Michael Pailin the ex-leper beggar after the latter complains upon receiving only half a denari: “there’s no pleasing some people.”

As a New Yorker you can’t really complain about the cleanliness, comfort or clarity of anyone else’s subway system.  Just look at the ceiling when you change trains on the Lexington Avenue Line for the local at 14th Street.  Strata upon strata of never-cleaned filth coat the ceilings like turf and every shadowed space is 乌七八糟[1].  God help anyone trying to understand the conductor with his ratty mic and mono-syllabic “standclearoftheclosingdoors.”  I was reading yesterday with a book in one hand, fishing for my headphones in my bag with the other, when the train took off, smoothly.  Try doing that without a third hand strap-hanging on the IRT. 

 I think part of the issue is New York, of course, built out the subway in another era and now maintains a legacy network.  Beijing had the chance to learn from New York and fifty other cities’ compromises.  Budgets were effectively limitless, ambitions effectively celestial, and somehow, in spite of all this it feels patched together with a sense of obligatory coverage of Beijing’s breadth, rather than something designed with convenience in mind. 



Final gripe, I promise.  The official website is hopeless.  Assumption: many, many people who visit the Beijing Government’s subway web site, want to see a map.  But when you go there is only a section of the map offered, scroll though you might for other views.  http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/feature_2/BeijingSubway/
You can invistigate this line or that line, but no where can you get an overall picture of how the interact, or what their near.  To do that, you have to go to a third party web site and expand the view out.
The official web site for New York’s subway section, by comparison, has something I can use, immediately.   http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Wiki tells me that Beijing has the world’s second largest subway network, second only behind Shanghai, in terms of track length.  So they’ve covered a lot of ground very quickly and accordingly and more importantly, I’m not used to it the way I am in New York or even Tokyo, which is what’s really going on here.  I’ll take it again this afternoon, over to the west side. I won’t be able to avoid the three-station-migration, at the outset, but maybe I’ll find a seat, as we head west.


I must tell you, before parting, that my stepson is back in town on business and this has my daughters over the moon.  They couldn’t be happier to curl up in his arms, laugh, be teased and eat the delicious Japanese deserts he brought with him.  They were all up early eating breakfast this morning and it was like a holiday, to suddenly have everyone here.  My wife was in the kitchen when I returned from the gym, listening to her French language tape.  I thought I’d be helpful and introduce some proper French music, proper French lyrics.  Half way through Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin’s “Je t'aime Moi Non Plus” from the année erotic 1969, where the latter sounds like a lamb having an orgasm under a waterfall, my computer was closed and we returned to disciplined vocabulary lists.  Next time we’ll try “Le Poinçonneur des Lilas” about the frustrated metro-ticket-puncher, which would have been a much more appropriate addition to today’s theme.




[1] wūqībāzāo:  everything in disorder (idiom) / in a hideous mess / obscene / dirty / filthy

No comments:

Post a Comment