Friday, October 2, 2015

Dangling Silver Scissors




House of the Flying Daggers.”  I hadn’t realized that this was the translation of ‘Shi Mian Mai Fu’ when I went to see it last night.  Friends invited us and we were blessed with remarkably forgiving traffic on a wet evening.   We arrived with a few minutes to spare.

I was told that this was a story I should be familiar with.  Things are set in the founding of Han Dynasty.  I tried my best to piece it together.  Fruitlessly, I’d poked around on Baidu on my phone.  “You know, Liu Bang and Xiang Yu.”    I wish someone had said “四面楚歌“.    Western history remains anchored differently.

We settled in, just in time, to a ceiling full of sharpened silver and a woman off to the write using a scissor, as things go under way.  Unable to anchor or trace the story, I floated from one remarkable set to another. The ceiling full of dangling silver scissors seemed alive, anchored in such a way that they swayed in unison, menacingly. 

The final battle, what I later discern must be the “Battle of Gaixia” is set amidst a sand dune’s worth of red feathers that swirled and fell like snowy blood down on to naked bodies.  Bare legs squirming slowly, up from all the red plumage, like some horrid insect on its back.  These bodies moved at half time while our protagonists spun like drunken, angry roosters.  Yang Liping has directed something visually arresting. 



The next morning I looked on-line.  I couldn’t find any mention of the performance in English.  I found reference to a 2004 movie that Zhang Yimou had done with the same Chinese title.  But when I read about it, he’d set it in the Tang Dynasty.  Finally my older daughter found me the link I was looking for in Chinese to the performance itself. 




The national theatre doesn’t register much of an impression as one drives into it, but the building is lovely to walk around in, once the show is done.  The dome glistened on this rainy evening.  I remember I used to know a young lady who’s family was moved to make room for this theatre.   But that is all I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment