Monday, October 12, 2015

I Prefer Espresso




I prefer espresso.  When I went to Starbucks this morning, after dropping off the kids at school, I searched immediately for a bag of their espresso beans on the dark wooden shelf off to the right, before the queue forms.  There weren’t any espresso bags there.  I began to consider precisely what it was that “medium roast” Colombian beans might taste like.  I must have been shaking my head, as the girl behind the counter looked over and shouted in Chinese: “Don’t worry.  We have them all the flavors here.  We haven’t unpacked them yet.”

I don’t know why we don’t have a device to grind coffee beans, at home, but we don’t.  We had one but it was the wrong voltage and it smelled like burned wires every we used it.  “I want it the most fine possible.  Please put the knob all the way over to the right.”  “All the way to here?”  “Yes.  That’s it.”



It was eight-thirty on a Monday morning.  Some people were dressed for work.  Others looked like they worked from home or were newly liberated from parental obligations.  The young lady serving up the drinks as they became ready said in Chinese: “Would you like a bag with a tray in it?” to the foreign man standing in front of me.  He was oblivious.  She said it again, this time in choppy English.  Then, a third time.  I looked at him.  He finally noticed that woman was addressing him.  “Oh yes.”

When you purchase a bag of coffee they seem to throw in a brewed cup of the stuff for free .  I had my dopio and banged it back quickly.  The woman asked me if I wanted the extra cup and the bag of ground coffee in a holder at the bottom of the bag, just as she had suggested for the other gentleman.  I nodded, grabbed my bag and headed back out to the car.  I can’t remember what music was waiting for me when I got there and turned on the car. 



Ah, wait, I do remember.  It was “Dance” from the Motorhead’s Ace of Spades album, and it is a very funny song to imagine Lemmy Kilmister actually acting out, as I considered the lyrics once again, and made my way back out into traffic.  



No comments:

Post a Comment