Friday, December 8, 2017

On Ignoring The Screecher




When you sign up to take the last flight down to Shanghai it always seems like a good idea.  You imagine the extra time with the family and the down-time asleep on the flight.  But you forget how grinding it is to arrive somewhere at midnight.  The cab queue at Hong Qiao Airport was perhaps the longest I’ve ever seen.  This must be a function of fewer late night taxis as much as a surge of people.  But I will say this for the Shanghai airport functionaries, they know how to move a crowd.  The line moved more swiftly than it would have in Beijing, let alone anywhere in the U.S. 

I was enjoying some loud rock anthem when I heard some screeching above the tube amp crunch of distorted bar chord.  I removed my ear buds to find a young Chinese gentleman arguing with a young Chinese woman behind him in the line beside mine.  He suggested she mind her business in reasonable English.  She told him she’d mind whatever they hell she wanted in less reasonable English.  Then he took to ignoring her and she began to enumerate to the person next to her and indeed to all of the two hundred people in line why this guy was an asshole in loud, southern accented, Chinese. 



The line snakes around in an S shaped pen with at least five coils of turns so that once, and twice and three times more I get to slowly watch this odd pair approach, the taller guy is now frustrated, set on ignoring the screecher.  The lady continuing to complain aloud, over and over about the man.  I am very, very, tempted to say something biting to her as she passes close, but it is, of course, pointless.  This sort of street level haranguing that goes on ad nauseam and never results in blows or in fact anything really, is certainly another great refinement of the Shanghainese. 

Check in late.  Up to bed.  They are trying to be nice here at the Royal Meridien in Shanghai but I’d really rather they didn’t put this enormous complementary brownie they leave here in my room.  I should pick it up and immediately flush it down the toilet.  I wouldn’t normally eat a brownie before bed, but once I take a nibble, I’m sure to finish the whole thing.   



The next morning I lead a training with young Chinese professionals.  I talk to them about the differences between Chinese and U.S. culture and I provide a bit of theory to buttress what I’m saying.  They are confident, and humble, smart and open minded, a lovely group of young people.  I suggest to them that they are ambassadors of Chinese civilization and to not be afraid about their assignments in America.  I end by reminding them of how fortunate they are to have these chances that would have been all but impossible for nearly any Chinese generation before them.  And this finds its mark. 



Thursday, 11/09/17




No comments:

Post a Comment