Sunday, December 10, 2017

Only A Simple Room





Up early and out to what I thought would be a trip down to the south west of the city.  That is where the company I was heading off to give a training at is headquartered.  My friend is the head of this organization and its his car.  He knows where he’s going.  We headed north on Jingmi Road.  We continued passed the sixth ring road, a straight shot north before settling at the hotel far from the city, for this training. 

On the way I traded notes with this friend who was otherwise only a social acquaintance.  I have hosted him in Beijing as well as in New York.  His daughter and mind are best of friends.  He wife and mine work closely together.  Now I was considering him as “the leader.”  He’s trying to empower his younger leaders to take more risks.  I am here to discuss leadership. 

The hotel is a big, cavernous space where we sit down and have a coffee with his team to discuss the morning.  They are all obviously quite busy, but they shift gears and slow themselves to speak with me as I try my best to learn about their company.  They are all trying their best to accommodate this odd foreigner who is speaking with them. 



Originally we were talking about seventeen people though now it appears that another group would participate and bring the number to fifty.  I peer into the room.  Fifty sounds big but it’s only a simple room full of people.  They all look serious, and approachable.  Everyone has a dark suit on.  Only yours truly is dressed in a big, red, winter flannel shirt.  It is Saturday. 

I’ve lead this lecture on leadership, a brief distillation of a course I’ve taught, many times now.  But this time, I must run it all in Chinese.  I stood up late the night before and got up early this morning to try to anchor some of the words I’d need.  Fortunately I’m discussing something I already know reasonably well. 

It takes time and patience but it is possible to connect with the room.  I allow for a long, awkward pause setting up a line that succeeds in making them all laugh.  At first no one wants to contribute but it eases up and soon many people have their hands up.  The breakout time works well and they all dive in to what appears to be serious debates in their respective teams.  Fortunately one of the senior managers has good English and takes to translating my Chinese, into Chinese. for them all  This is alright with me. Together we’re reasonably intelligible.



I manage to bring it all home with crescendo and add some solemnity they way I might with my mother tongue at my disposal.  I decide to leave out the part I usually share with students: “Hey, if you’re in a bad environment professionally, just leave.  Life is too short.”   This is, of course, a work environment and perhaps that's a bit presumptuous.  Leaving they all want photos and Wechat exchanges and it all seems rather intimate and lovely.  I had thought I’d leave after the lecture but I am invited to stay for the buffet lunch and I'm happy to continue this conversation strolling around the open platters.  



Saturday, 12/02/17


No comments:

Post a Comment