Sunday, January 6, 2019

Lovely Blue and Black





Meat.  The older one doesn’t want it.  The younger one must have it.  We’ve got a fridge full of veggies but there ain’t no meat.  I’m hesitating, finding things to do, avoiding having to suit up and bike over to the market.  Puttering around the kitchen I notice a fish tail. 

I’m not sure where they came from.  There is a vacuum-packed mackerel with that lovely blue and black scaled shank on the side counter.  It’s the whole fish, gutted and in a shopping bag.   I pause because I can’t tell if this fish is for the taking and if it still fresh after spending the night in this bag, vacuum packing or otherwise.




My wife confirms that this is apparently serious fish.  A friend gave it to her as a gift and she wasn’t sure what to do with it.  Cutting the vacuum seals nothing smells particularly fishy and I decide to bake the hell out of them and see how it goes.  A bit of olive oil, salt and lemon and in they go. 



Bony.  But what do you expect when you have the whole fish, head to tail?  Maybe a little well done.  But I erred on the safe side.  It tastes good.  The little one picks at it.  She has more tofu tonight than she otherwise might.  The Mrs. and I do a bit of filleting to get it ready, but afterwards eat our fill.  There’s a good bit left and I scrape it off the pan and put it in a bag for the fridge.  I’ll suspect I’ll be substituting mackerel for my boring can of tuna in tomorrow’s salad.



Wednesday 12/05/18

No comments:

Post a Comment