Saturday, January 19, 2019

My Chance to Hug Her






Up early.  Earlier than everyone else in the house.  My daughter has a guest sleep over and this gives me pause.  I know everyone else’s rhythm in this house.  But I could turn the corner and bump into someone returning from a bathroom run or raid on the refrigerator.  I keep to my room.  I have to look to check:  it’s a tenor player I don’t know, Ralph Bowen from Canada, five-years my senior who’s been shedding away in the background.



Lots of good news for my older daughter yesterday.  She got a three-point-nine GPA, which was a first for her.  My automatic question was: will the colleges see this and she suggests they certainly will.   She’s worked so hard and is obviously, justifiably, happy.  I can’t wait for my chance to hug her when she is done with her mom.

When we returned from dinner last night she got her first college notification, which was an acceptance.  Maybe she’ll get accepted to all the others, as well.  Maybe this will be the only one to open its arms, but regardless it’s good to start it all with a yea, rather than a nay.  Wells College then, in Aurora New York was traditionally the ladies college founded to complement Cornell down the road.  I’ll never look at Wells Fargo bank, the same way again knowing the bank and the college share the same founder.  Apparently they only began accepting fellas fifteen years ago amidst much consternation and law suit or two.  My wife and I eagerly began reading everything we could about the place and the more I read, the more I liked.



It’s “only” a three and half hour drive from our home in New York.  But it will be cold up there and she isn’t a big fan of the winter.  We’ll have to see how the rest of the process turns out but I think they won a little piece of her heart last night by being the first one to extend their hand to her.  Mention of the scholarship didn’t hurt to win my heart as well.    


Sunday, 01/20/19



No comments:

Post a Comment