Tuesday, January 8, 2019

To Engaged In a Second





What’s up with the holidays?  The gym is packed.  I’m used to going to the high school gym early in the morning.  There are always the same three or four teachers there.  I smile.  They smile.  They come.  They go.  I go.  I never have to wait to use anything. 

My first Star Trac cable machine had someone’s water bottle on it.  I asked and a young guy moved it.   Then he returned and asked how long I’d be.  Well, gee.  Two more sets?   Just a moment.   




Later he came up to me again when I was using the standing cable station.  I was swinging hard, grunting and stopped.  Out came the head phones.  Disconnect from the Leroy Smart I  was enjoying: “Too Much Grudgefullness”  “Hey, can I ask what is that motion you’re doing?”  I went from annoyed to engaged in a second.  No one had ever asked such a thing.  “I don’t know.  I just like the way it feel on my gut.” I replied.  He explained that he studied kinesthesiology and understood how muscles worked and was intrigued by this motion.  Oh, cool.  Well, yes, it works for me. 



I couldn’t really tell just how old he was.  I knew he was younger than me.  Is he in med-school or just brushing up on the science of muscles in his high school spare time?.  I got back into the set and as I finished I realized I probably should have asked him to have a try at things.   I tried to pop by and say “goodbye” later but he had his headphones on and was doing pullups in his own world, and didn’t see me.  



Friday, 12/28/18  

No comments:

Post a Comment