Monday, January 20, 2020

Delivery Folk Are Working





I got the pink slip from the postman yesterday: “The driveway’s dangerous.  Come pick up.”  I considered that it would have been preferable if he’d just left it there, though he probably did the right thing, and I would have been rather frustrated if someone had swiped em’.  There are a lot of things on the way and it would have made for an attractive hoard.  I went over to visit the post office.  It isn’t far.  But even though the delivery folk are working hard, the office itself was closed. 



Today, I got my car parked and headed on in to find a rather significant line, snaking around the place.  I assumed lots of these people were picking things up but when the guy called out: “anyone here for pickups” the lady in front of me and I both piped up and said: “Yeah.”  But no one else did.  The lady ahead of me got a packaged and turned to leave.  The big guy with the buzz-cut and the Christmas tie on said: “Oh, you.  You gotta ton of stuff back here.”  And soon he wheeled back around the corner with a large cart with twenty different boxes in it.  I told him I’d likely see him again soon, as there was more on the way. 

Later, back at the head of my driveway, I parked to check the mailbox, and as luck would have it the postman drove up.  I laughed and asked whether or not he had another big assortment for me, but he only had two or three more packages.  “Why’d you wait so long?” He asked and I wondered if I was the exception or the rule.  Considering our snowy path, he apologized and said he couldn’t risk taking the jeep down my driveway and considering the simple vehicle beneath the frame, I couldn’t but agree.  I wouldn’t drive that thing down this road either, unless I didn’t care whether it became stuck or not.  “No worries.  And if you want you can leave it right, he tomorrow.  I don’t mind.” “You sure?   OK Then.”



The carpenters working on a building next door had two German Shepherds which came over my way yelping until the workman called them back.  Apparently, there is a church going up next door.  I couldn’t tell you what denomination they were.  I scraped a bit more snow and just then a Central Hudson Electric truck came out of their parking lot and went down mine.  Later, the driver returned, and she mentioned that she liked that I was shoveling and would be happy to come and read our meter tomorrow.  But if I didn’t mind, she’d hold off on driving down there today.  I bid her farewell and a Merry Christmas and suggested she come back any time she like. 



Monday 12/23/19

No comments:

Post a Comment