Monday, January 20, 2020

Just What I Hoped





Driving into Queens this afternoon.  The older one is returning home from a visit with her boyfriend in Toronto.  We have another week with her before she returns to college in Portland.  We left early.  “Yes dear.  We can leave now if you insist.”  Shortly after we left, we got a message that her flight was delayed.  This was not the first such message. 

We were early to picking the little one of from school and we ended up chatting with the Admissions Director, a lovely fellow, about hosting some of the Chinese students over at our place for New Year’s Eve dumplings.  Before long we were chatting with the school cook about his plans for the holiday as well.  And with that we were off on our way, the little one insisting she wanted to visit Dunkin’ Doughnuts.  I have only the worst memories of the place from the days when I thought it was grand and I groaned a bit but what do I care?  Soon we were pulling out of the Wappingers Falls Dunkin’s with some caramel frappa-something for her and French Crawler the Mrs. and a passable double espresso sloshing around inside me.

We took 84 down and the traffic was merciful.  Her plane would be delayed again.  It wasn’t the kind of day you wanted to make good time on.  The Whitestone Bridge hadn’t much traffic to speak of just before five and it wasn’t no time before we were snaking around the terrible labyrinth that is LaGuardia Airport, under construction.   We went down to see if there was somewhere to sit and eat.  There wasn’t.  All we could find was a vending machine. Departures was no different. 



Back at the car we considered our options.  Our older one was still on the runway in Toronto.  “Have they closed the plane door yet?”  Always a good sign.  “No.”  A regrettable reply.  In the car we had heat.  I had a good book I was making my way through.  We could play whatever music we liked.  Ahh, but the Mrs. wanted to know if there weren’t things to see and do here in Elmhurst Queens.  I envisioned unwinding and then rewinding the crazy path we took to get into this garage and getting routed up and on to the BQE and off to points unknown.  “No honey.  Let’s just stay here.  This was debated.  I pointed out that there appeared to be a Marriott hotel within walking distance.  “How about that?”  “In this cold?”  By now our daughter had, at least stopped answering wechat messages and was presumably up and on her way and inertia won out.  We settled into our seats. 

But dinner was going to happen.  It was 8:15 when we finally had the older one and her luggage up in the car.  Where to?  We’d planned to drive up into the Bronx and try one of the storied Italian restaurants there in “the real” Little Italy.  I had no idea what the neighborhood would be like, but we found the place easily enough and I dropped off the girls at the door and found street parking that only left me a little bit worried.  I’ve no idea why but it was all reminding me of an evening drive through Sao Paulo about nine month’s back where a cabby was taking a short cut and I was considering the other side of the city which had otherwise all been rather fancy.  



The clientele was just what you hoped it would be up at Little Italy in the Bronx.  A nice gent from one of the tables and come to greet my gals before I arrived and told them they were in a very special place, where the food would be like Italian food in the old world.  And by now, we’d traveled a lot and fretted a lot and I relaxed and had some wonderful risotto and memorable veal scaloppini.    Desert?  Yes.  And all we talked about was our trips to Italy and how much fun we’d had when we were there.



Thursday, 01/16/20

No comments:

Post a Comment