Monday, January 20, 2020

Into Big, Puffy Flakes





My wife bravely offered to drive my stepson and daughter in-law down to the Newark Airport tonight for their flight home.  That’s a three-and-a-half or four-hour commitment though it would surely save them an hour or two off what it would take them on public transit. 

We swung by my dad’s place so they could all have one final farewell and by the time we pulled into his parking area the drizzle had turned into big puffy flakes which were starting to accumulate.  I left the wife and all these youngsters by the doorway and found a place to park fifty meters ahead.  Walking back, I trotted through the wet snow, shivering, as I was underdressed for the weather. 



A quick visit.  Quick visits are possible when you see your folks all the time.  Everyone kept looking out the window.   The snow fall was pretty.  And daunting.  “You sure you’re gonna be OK to drive?”  On our drive home we took a backroad path and by now it was really thick.  And by now my wife wasn’t feeling so brave anymore. 



I tried Lyft and my stepson tried Uber.  I got a driver who was willing to go.  He had to come all the way over from Poughkeepsie.   But he was willing to do the drive for a hundred bucks and change which sounds like a lot but isn’t.  I drove them out to downtown New Paltz as the guy wasn’t likely to be able find our place and parked up behind him and popped the trunk.  This Lyft driver was younger than he sounded on the phone.  But he seemed clean and undaunted.  So, we all had some big hugs and sent them on their way.  They got there early and I provided this young driver with a tip. 



Monday, 12/30/19


No comments:

Post a Comment