Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sorry, Ran Late




Someone was to have called me at 7:00AM.  OK.  That’s the time I’m usually at the gym.  I figured I could slow the stair master down and talk while I walked, if necessary.   Everything about the routine was the same, except this time I propped my phone up on to the lip of the stair station. Within a few minutes of Mahavishnu Orchestra’s “Miles Beyond” from the 1973 album “Birds of Fire”, the bewitching hour struck.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_of_Fire   I double-checked and the signal was strong.  Check the time again.  OK.  Dude’s running late.

Then we were “Up the Wooden Hills to Bedfordshire” with the Small Faces.  Distracted, I kept look at the phone’s black face at rest through to the final yell at the end of the song that I somehow imagine was Steve Marriott.  Well then.  “Lady Madonna” kicked in.  You can’t argue with those horn line.  Is that McCartney playing drums the way it seems in the video they have of this?  iTunes random function is on a role and its staying with dreamy, mid-sixties British pop:  The Kinks “Johnny Thunders” comes on . . . and plays through. 

Right.  Well.  Did I read the note wrong?  It was seven, not seven-thirty, right?   He’s calling from the U.S.  It was Daylight Savings a few weeks back.  Maybe he’s still confused about the time over here.  An old one by Tommy McCook, Lee Scratch Perry with “Roast Fish and Corn Bread” and then the celestial harmonies of the Impressions with “The Girl I Find.”  Enjoying that tune there is a backing vocal that is a sort of frozen birdcall which someone other than Curtis Mayfield makes.  I’d always thought the same noise made by the Wailers on “Duppy Conqueror” when Marley says “don’t try to cold me up, on this bridge now,” was sui generis but it was obviously it was lifted.  I suppose nearly every teenager on the Island of Jamaica in the sixties was a fan of the Impressions.



Sit-ups with the phone poised up by my feet.   The same intro as “Stone Free” but rather, it’s the opening of “EXP” from Hendrix “Axis Bold As Love.  Upper body weights with the phone down there at my feet.  By now I’m reasonably at peace with the fact that this guy ain’t calling.   Two more dub cuts and we’re back to The Impressions with the somewhat oddly titled, and odder lyric-ed “Young Mods Forgotten Story.”  I’m not familiar with that term being widely used in the U.S. from that time.  The “Mods” were decidedly British from 1964.  There was, of course, the “Mod Squad” TV show, but I don’t recall much else. 

Slip back on my jeans.  Throw on my coat.  Back off on the way home.  The rather dreary Kinks tune “Alcohol” is on as I pass back, through the gate.  I double-check my phone to make sure that some call didn’t come through while I blinked.  Nope.  A black Honda Odyssey sails along and slows to my left.  Ahh.  Indeed.  That’s my black Honda Odyssey, being driven by my wife.  My daughter’s iPhone is all that remains of her after the morning drop off.  It is blaring a song called “Shadow” by a Korean boy band whose name escapes me.  I throw the seat back and complain about my call that never came. 



Up in the house the coffee is ready.  Extra milk. It’s strong.  Iggy and the Stooges invite me to join them for calisthenics with the uplifting nightmare, “Pin Point Eyes.”  I flip open the laptop.  Yup.  There’s a note from the dude:  “Sorry, ran late.  Can I still call you later tonight or tomorrow?”  Hmm.  “Sure.  No problem.  Call anytime.”  This rather than saying: 过时不候[1]

Over to the news.   Malaysia is suggesting the plane dropped into the sea south west of Australia.  The president obliquely referred to some new radar information they just had shared that determined unequivocally that the plane was heading in that direction.  That sounds like the U.S. finally shared some classified information that they wouldn’t have had otherwise.  The G8 is back to being a G7.  An interesting article trying to explain why Putin did what he did.  China is asking the U.S. to explain what it was that the NSA did to Huawei. 

My dude has written back.  It looks like he isn’t calling this morning.  What an odd waste of mental energy, preparing for something that never transpired.  I’m glad I didn’t sit around waiting for the call, and forgo the gym.    Finish these calisthenics then.  Onward. 



[1] guòshíbùhòu:  being late is not acceptable (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment