Saturday, October 10, 2015

Literally "at-our-backs"




This is a day.  Huge puffy white clouds floating overhead, a strong breeze whipping around the leaves.  I feel like I’m on the set of “Oklahoma.”  Everything feels irresistibly fresh, as I head on into the city on a Saturday.   Fall can be wonderful in Beijing

Earlier in the day I took a bike ride over to my kids school with my younger one.  She had wanted me to visit the school book fair.  This was too good to pass up:  a chance to tick the reading box and the exercise box in one jaunt, with my daughter.   Biking over we rode into a strong wind and almost stopped us.



The selection of books at the fair was OK.  Apparently it had been on for a few days now.  I’m not sure that the prices were any great remedy, but that’s all right.  We don’t have much of a selection for English language books here in town.  I saw two novels by Lao She translated in English that I’d never heard of before.  There was some Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende that I thought about getting for my older one.  “Their Eyes Were Watching God” seemed about the rights size for her and I scooped it up. The younger one eventually landed on a copy of Mary Poppins, which she’d seen the musical and the movie of, before.  I also nabbed a collection of American short stories, edited by John Updike.  It seems like the perfect addition to the downstairs bathroom. 




Riding home we kept to the right.  I rode out nearly in the middle of the right hand lane, to give my daughter room on the shoulder.  I kept warning her about people opening doors.  “Be careful.  Assume that one could fly open any minute.”   And this time the wind was literally at-our-backs.  It pushed us faster and made it easy to coast.  Just the right wind to lift an umbrella up into and fly off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment