Saturday, March 10, 2018

I Was an "Urgent Passenger"





Ah, my friends at Ctrip.   I got an email notice suggesting my flight would be delayed by thirty minutes.  I had an 8:30PM flight.  There it was, suggesting the flight would leave at nine instead.  Returning home from a day of meetings, I explained that I’d have an extra thirty-minutes before I had to head out. The younger one had ordered some burritos that were on the way and sounded a whole lot better than anything I could get at the airport.

To get to the airport I knew precisely when I’d have to leave.  It was getting close and there were still no burritos.  My younger one called again.  The guy had gotten lost.  He was close now.  I couldn’t wait any longer though and called for a car.  Perhaps the delivery dude would arrive before the Didi guy did.  And, he did not.  I could have justified cutting things even closer, I figured I’d be uncharacteristically prudent and left without any dinner.  I could eat later and I shouldn’t miss this flight.  A delivery bike, which I assumed to be our guy sped past us on the way out. 



Air China check in was looking rather empty when I rolled up.  “I believe the flight is now departing at 9:00PM.  Is that still the right time?”  “No.”  She replied.  “The flight is not delayed.  You’re gonna need to run if you’re going to make it.”  I think, somehow, I didn’t fully believe her.  I had, after all, received an email.  Still, I picked up the pace and cut straight over to the special line they have for folks whose planes are already boarding. 

I got into the line and a woman came from behind and began to cut in front of me with great urgency.  “What?  Are you more important than me?”  I asked rather rudely and convincingly.  “No.” She replied.  The effect, of course, less satisfying than I’d imagined it would be when I’d earlier conjured that witticism.  I presented my documents to the security people and they yelled out that I was an “urgent passenger.”



The gate wasn’t far and I trotted over to find it locked.  I’ve missed enough flights in this airport to know that if the doors are closed the attendants quickly vacate the scene so there is no one left to plead with.  Furious, I checked the time and rang Ctrip to berate them for sending me the stupid message in the first place.  “Hey, the plane was on time.  Thanks to you guys I missed it.  Why did you send the message in the first place?”  The gentleman asked for a moment to check things.  Soon thereafter he pointed out that the message I received was a notification concerning my return flight home the next night.  Indeed.  Always good to know when you're wrong.  “Well then, what other flights have you got going down tonight?  And what’s the first flight in the morning?”  And while he walked me through my options, suggesting the morning was really the only choice left, my mind was already set upon securing that burrito I'd missed back home.


Friday 03/09/18



1 comment:

  1. Southwest Air resent me the check in message for my March 9 flight on March 11
    which meant we got to the air port for a 9:30am flight, only to find out that that didn't exist. The flight was 2:30pm Long wait at the terminal...grrrr..

    ReplyDelete