Friday, April 12, 2019

Heavy Equipment Lies Idle





Driver picks me up.  We’re heading out to the at huge new tech park, way out beyond the Beida, where Baidu, and Netease and Inspur and Asia Info have all moved their offices.  And I’ve been there a dozen times.  Today the driver, who is loud, asks me if I prefer to take the GPS or not.  I respond that whatever is faster will be fine.  He acknowledges this, loudly and soon we’re off towards the entrance to the Jing Cheng expressway. 

He double checks with me, seeing if the sixth ring road will be OK?  I think for a minute.  It will be longer, certainly and more expensive.  But the place is way up north on the west side anyway.  Sure.  Yes.  The sixth ring.  And he cuts to the opposite side of the road and enters the other entrance which I don’t normally use. 



It’s only been four or five months since I road this stretch but now, along the east side of the road, a series of what can only be high speed rail supports has been built out.  Soon this will have a new line speeding along, presumably up to Chengde and beyond.  For now, it just discrete parts that intimate the rail line yet to come.  They’re tall, rising four or five stories up from the ground.  Heavy equipment lies idle along-side this or that section.

                                               

Turning west we are now on the sixth ring road itself.  I don’t recognize these surroundings though I’ve ridden this road, before.  We are flying along now doing at least seventy miles per hour along with all the other traffic.  One never gets to drive seventy miles per hour in Beijing.  I consider my seat belt which I don’t usually put on in the back.  Every now and then the loud driver says something loudly.  Happily driving along.  Everyone is driving very fast and I wonder about everyone’s ability to intelligently anticipate each other’s moves at this speed. 

Finally, I finish up a call that took too long.  I lay back and close my eyes.  And then I awake and the wrong location, but near to where I am heading.   




Wednesday, 04/03/19

No comments:

Post a Comment