Sunday, July 14, 2019

Another One Was Missing





On the road to Abydos, leaving out of Aswan.  We’d left an hour later than planned.  Eight in the morning was always going to be a challenge.  To the right, The dusty dangerous looking constructions are built up into the hill side, Inshalla there will not be any earthquakes here for many, many years, till long after they reinforce those walls.   Abydos was Mecca before there was Mecca.  The ancient temple of Osiris, built by Seti I, in 1294 B.C. the father of the big builder Ramses II.   I’ve talked the troupe into this one last temple, which is supposedly has remarkable color and is largely complete. 

Our guide Ahmed, comes up to me and asks if he can speak.  I need to finish a document first but when I do and I ask him what’s up, he mentions that we will have three more hours to reach Luxor and then Abydos will be a full three hours beyond that.  It is unlikely we will reach Abydos before 4:00PM and the site may close soon thereafter.  Why not go tomorrow?  He suggests.  We’ll cut off two hours of travel because you must go north the Qena before you turn off to Hurghada anyway.  This will be better.  At first, I dismiss this.  No.  We’ll continue on the with the plan, as the new plan begins to get other members of the tribe anxious about just how long everything is. "As you wish" which always seems to burden the recipient rather than serve them.  But in the end, we decide upon the new plan.  Let the family rest today when we reach Luxor.  They can have a lazy day at the hotel, and we’ll take on Abydos then, tomorrow.

I need to get my sister something and I have it in my mind to find some of these old British prints that they have in some of the hotel walls.  I’m not sure  that a glitter painting of the Pharaohs on treated papyrus has a future on our walls.  Out in front of the Winter Palace hotel there is a shop and wonderfully they have  a ten of the prints by Mr. David Roberts  from Stockbridge which I learned was in Scotland.  They have different sets and I choose the one that has prints from across the nation.  I’d had it in my mid to get the cow as the symbol of Hathour, which we’d learned at Abu Simbel was the symbol of maternity.  They show me a lovely cow our two with the sun disc on the forehead and I am tempted but we get the prices wrong between pounds and dollars and it’s much more than I thought.  He explained that these were all from a special cabinet that though not ancient were all carved in the 19th century from  Steatite stone.  He suggests throwing in a scarab beetle to increase the value and I consider a lovely one that has Hatshepsut carved into the base but in the end, I pass and respectfully move on with only my prints. 



Somehow the actual Temple of Luxor itself is one that we did not get to visit during the frenzy of our initial day in Luxor.  I’m not going to press anyone else to join but I head over now in the 105 degrees weather, to consider another of Ramses II’s construction the temple of Luxor.  I tried as best I could to suggest the guide take the afternoon off but he accompanied me over and it was certainly good to have him.  Formerly, the ruins were buried to the seated Rasmes' neck in dust and debris.  How strange for the 19th century visitors to have first seen it in this fashion.  He points out the obelisk that testifies to Ramses II and the space where another one was missing.  Muhammad Ali apparently presented it to the French in the early 19th century and it presently sits as a gift in the Place Du Concorde, in Paris.  I seem to recall having seen it there, many years back.  The French apparently give Muhammad Ali a clock tower return that broke down shortly after they received it.  My guide points out that the Obelisk in the Hippodrome in Istanbul was also from here originally and that if they were given as gifts there is not much Egypt can do to reclaim them, but the ones that were taken, that is another matter.  And he reminds me of the challenges for Egypt in the last millennium before Christ.  The Nubians conquered Egypt.  I consider the ropes around the necks of the Nubians marching beneath one side of Ramses feet and the “Asian” Syrians on the other side with their prominent beards, as it had been in Abu Simbel.  And then a few hundred years later the Nubians return the favor and after that, the Persians so the same.  And the Persians in particular like the Christian Copts later, deface the ancient iconography or in the Christian's case, paint over their Biblical scenes.     


                                                                                   
Heading home its hot.  Really hot and there is no shade. The water from the market fridge I buy along the way remarkably refreshing and I needed it more than I’d assumed.  Back at the hotel and splurge about on two items from the gentleman’s 19th century case.  I hope my sister and my mother enjoy them.  There is no point in getting items that are disposable.  And this evening we dine at the house of Mustafa, the ensign on the dahabiya we sailed who invited us to his home.  We met his mom and sisters on the first floor and his wife and family on the second.  We paid games with his two younger daughters and laughed, trying to teach them how to count to ten in Chinese.  Dinner was on the floor.  Chicken and soup and mezze, and each of us genuinely purred with satisfaction and how delicious each dish.  I wasn’t sure beforehand whether or not this was something the family would really want to do.  I the end, I think it will be remembered by everyone in their own way as a highlight.  Mustafa did not have smart phone or an email address so I cannot easily send him the lovely photos we took all together there with his family. 



Friday, 7/12/19


No comments:

Post a Comment