Saturday, February 15, 2020

How Terrifying an Animal





A fox!  I was talking with my colleague, who’s hunkered down in Beijing.  When do you think people will be back to work?  Will they all be working from home?  So, you think it will be determined city by city?  Fortunately, he was doing some talking when I saw a flash of color about on hundred yards off, somewhere near the trail. 



I put the phone down and let him speak and took a look through the binoculars but couldn’t see anything definitive.  It’ didn’t matter.  Shortly thereafter a tawny fox about a meter-long pranced right up out of the brush, now only thirty yards off.  Every morning I’ve been tossing sunflower seeds out on the lawn down below where I work and there are a half a dozen squirrels who come and dine along with a few sparrows.  This had attracted a hawk a few days back.  And now it had appeared on the radar of this orange fox. 



He darted up quickly and I reached for my phone and tried to catch a few photos.  The squirrels scattered in every direction, looking for whatever trees they could find.  The fox paused right below my porch, now less than ten meters away and then ran right in front of me.   Alas, my powers with the iPhone camera were clearly wanting, when I reviewed a while later.  But it wasn’t hard to imagine just how terrifying an animal the fox would be if it were two to three times as large as you, yourself.  Any older squirrel with a bad foot or lame paw would quickly become fox food. 

I was glad to see him, in part, as I’d been told by my neighbor that what I’d identified as a fisher the other day was really just a fox.  But there’s no way.  The two animals are completely different.  Both Jimi Hendrix and Pu Songling talk about foxy female spirts, but it’s hard to imagine that wily little critter anthropomorphizing into a woman of desire.  Must have been the lonely candlelight for old Pu.  My fox looked a bit ratty. And now, down before me three deer look likes ships of the desert, legs folded beneath them after a long session of grazing on my winter grass. 



Sunday, 02/02/19

No comments:

Post a Comment