Monday, April 25, 2022

Didn't Dwell on This

 



Wasn’t long before I got one and then another call done that I had to get presentable and drive the older one over to the dentist.  One of the calls I had to do was to dentalplans.com who I’d arranged to join on Thursday at the prodding of my dentist, as they suggested it would cost under $200.00 and save me much more on the ugly bills I was staring down.  I rang them and got the wrong department of course but the right person confirmed they had spelled my name wrong on my email.  Now I had the confirm. 



Over at the dentist they confirmed that I’d save more than I paid for the plan in the first place.  Somehow they have decided to play the worst pop hits of the early eighties as the muzak track de jour, at this dentistry.  It is certainly the hateful music I hate most in the world and I made arrangements to head outside and read my book in the car.   On the way out one of the ladies asked me if I’d my daughter had called me “baba” which I confirmed.  “They grew up in China.”  She suggested she called her father the same thing.  She didn’t appear to be Chinese but I never confirmed what other culture it was that also used the term. 

 

I hadn’t expected to, but I dozed off in the car after a page or two.  Next thing I knew she was down in the lot, with a mouth full of Novocain and a bill for . . . the full amount.  I called and they mentioned a mistake and a promise to credit it towards my younger daughter’s bill when she arrived next week.  I could have made a fuss but just drove home instead. 



We stopped by my mom’s.  She and my step dad are off in Long Island, enjoying the shore.  I promised to take a walk around which I did.  Everything seemed normal.  But I got a somber feeling walking in the back.  They weren’t there.  They weren’t supposed to be there.  But someday, certainly it will be a day when they will never be there.  I didn’t dwell on this for long and went back to the car and drove off back across  the river. 

 

 

 

Monday 07/26/21

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment