Sunday, January 5, 2014

Flying Mellotronic




We had rumors of snow.  My daughter said something about it last night.  I see from friends in Cambridge Mass that they are buried.  Here, at this dusty outpost on the Gobi desert, still not a flake.  It’s full on winter by now, right?  But it hasn’t snowed once and it’s disconcerting.  In 2009 or so, I can recall there was a big snow fall the day after Halloween, on November 1st.  Two years back, I think it was, we had snow the day after St. Patrick’s Day on March 18th.



I could spin my hands like a “Team America” puppet version of Alec Baldwin and say “Corporations, Global Warming, Corporations, Global Warming”, but its not like we’ve had any rain either.  It’s just a dryer part of the world, on dryer winter than usual.  The relevant data set is paltry and I’m fixated on the immediate.  The cloud cover certainly played tricks on me this morning, as it stayed darker later and my whole routine felt as though it were happening an hour too early.

I played guitar loud just now, which I haven’t done in a while.  I think I heard some Freddie King, during my squats that had me doing air guitar and the next thing I was downstairs looking for a pick.  The poor strings are all rusty but that’s all right.  It’s my same old Maple V neck Strat copy I’ve had for twenty-five years and it never matters.  Shake the fingers off and you’re back into it.  Bending, strumming, sliding around.  All the countless hours I’ve spent doing this.

When I go to Tokyo I always head to a studio with my stepson, there in Shibuya.  The equipment is pristine, (never any rusty strings, that’s for sure.) and you close the soundproof door, turn the handle and you can turn that Marshal amp up to ‘ten.’  There is just nothing quite like playing an electric guitar loud.  The way a tube amp sounds when it naturally distorts.  The punch of a chord or a bend at that volume is so addictive.  You can catch some lick and play it over and over like a child, so content at the fullness. Fortunately my stepson has some talent and can move from axe to trap set easily enough.  I’m always hopeless on drums.  And the two hours you’ve booked the room for, pass like five minutes.

I don’t know why, but I never do that in Beijing.  I suppose, indeed I know there must be places in Beijing where you can do something similar.  The equipment may not be kept up quite the same way.  But I’m sure you can close the door and get loud, which is the important thing.  In Tokyo I’d hop on the Yamanote line and zip right over, walk a few blocks and you’d be there.  Somehow in Beijing, it all feels further, even though it isn’t.  It feels like it will be more of a hassle.  Any rate, at least I have an amp and a guitar here in the basement.  We won’t be going anywhere near ‘ten’ and it isn’t a Marshal tube amp, but was a satisfying segue, nonetheless. 

Somehow ‘Magical Mystery Tour’, The Beatles 1967 soundtrack to the film of the same name is on rotation in the cars CD player.  I went out to get milk last night after dropping my daughter off and kept playing the two minute instrumental “Flying” over and over and over.  It is the scene in the movie where the tour guide points out the window to show the passengers something extraordinary, scenery shot by a plane flying over Iceland. 




Ringo always feels like a strong presence on this song.  The drumming seems simple at first but is pronounced and subtle.  The “la, la, la, la, la, la, la,” vocal is wonderfully of all of them, but Ringo’s voice seems dominant.  And indeed when I had a look at the tune on Wiki, it is one of the only Beatle tunes where all four of them are given writing credits.  A real Fab Four [1]  (After looking up so much jazz on Wiki, where entire careers are given a paragraph or two, I note that this one, rather insignificant two-minute song has an entire page devoted to it) John and Ringo apparently worked on the tape loops at the end together.  It’s lovely to imagine them just hanging out having fun working on it, before things descended into acrimony.

Originally entitled “Aerial Tour Instrumental”, “Flying” was initially nearly ten minutes long with a progression of tape loops that carry on.  I’m sure one of my friends must have the bootleg version.  I’ll have to ask.  I’d love to hear it.   John is playing a Mellotron, which is one of those rock terms you see and say, “yeah a Mellotron” without, at least in my case, really knowing what such a thing is at all.  I looked and it is defined as “electro-mechanical, polyphonic tape replay keyboard” which sounds like quite a bit of fun. 

There is probably a free iPhone app that will let you approximate the sound for free these days.  But like my little solid-state amp downstairs, played at a cautious volume, it won’t sound the same as the original.   I’ll ask if they have one next time I’m in Shibuya. 

OK.  I was being facetious but there actually is a Mellotron app on iPhone:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mellotron/id648885269?mt=8
No, it’s not free.  It’s a $1.99.  I think I’m gonna go for an impulse splurge here and let you know what I think.  

“Let me take you down . . . “




[1] qíxīnxiélì:  to work with a common purpose (idiom); to make concerted efforts / to pull together / to work as one

No comments:

Post a Comment