Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What Can You Feel?




I had written about the hapless tenor player Tina Brooks last month and I shared one of his discs with my brother who enjoyed it.  It got me listening to his album “True Blue” again this morning.  Who is that piano player?  It sounds just like Horace Silver.  Check the notes:  Duke Jordan.  I see.  Who is that?  Born in Brooklyn in 1922, died in Denmark eighty-four years later, he played with Bird during 1947 in the “classic quintet” and has about 10 albums that Rdio has for my consideration.  Wonderful.  This is like getting a visa to a new country, every day.

Meditation works better when you aren’t exhausted, hung over, or distracted.  I like doing it early, before dawn.  And I try, as a friend suggested, to do the body check during the process.  It’s a bit silly but then again, not silly at all to try to actually consider each of your senses and feel the fullness of your body.  Sense your fat, wet brain sitting there in your head and its ability to see, even though your eyes are closed, and hear even though its comparatively silent outside and all the countless nerve endings that allow you to consider corporality and the faint taste of grapefruit juice that still lingers on your tongue.  The anchor is the breathing through your nose, that brings you back to smell, of which there is little to note. 



Breathing gets you down into your lungs.  Trying to imagine the inconceivable alchemy wherein oxygen is withdrawn from the air converted to energy and CO2 is then passed back out. How does this possibly happen?  I can look on line later and remind myself that I move my diaphragm to allow air in and then flatten it out, opening a space between the thorax and the abdomen for the spent air to pass back out.  Breathe in and breathe out yourself.  Now do it again and try to feel such a thing.  It doesn’t feel like that’s what’s happening.   Somehow the air is continuously harvested.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathing

I try to imagine the wash of grapefruit juice in my gut, sloshing around with the digestive juices that break it down elementally so that the useful bits can be withdrawn as it makes its way along my large and then small intestine.  I recently saw a friend who’d had an operation on his large intestine.  He needed a second operation and, for now, the intestine emptied in into a bag, which he showed me.  There it was.  It isn’t hard to imagine that coil and coil and coil that would stretch out for some twenty-five feet.  The grapefruit juice is in there sloshing along, till its ready to collect, depleted of what’s useful, reduced to urine that fills and presses at my bladder, right around the time I finish with my sitting.   

The heart is easier to imagine.  I can actually feel the big fella beating.  And the miraculous thrusts of blood that rush throughout my body providing all the myriad processes the fuel they need to continue.  With a bit of imagination I can approximately feel where my kidney is, because I know where a “kidney punch” would hit.  And I know it is doing some filtering, but the liver is doing that as well.  I’m not really sure I feel either of them, nor the pancreas, whatever it does, but I know they’re all in there.  Perhaps it is best that we can’t feel all these vital bits.

The spine is rather easier to feel, of course.  Sit up straight!  Feel the architecture that holds you up and can sense its fragile majesty, linking up your legs there in your hips and your arms up there in your shoulders.  I breathe out and imagine the sensation pushing out to my toes and then, out to my fingers.  If I try I can sense the big thigh muscle and then the calf, relaxed, latent, sprawled, and repeat the muscular examination for my arms.  And I would be disingenuous and something other than a man, I suppose, if I didn’t pause and allow myself to feel that incessantly demanding organ, waiting there between my legs, as always, for attention. 



I know that Hindu mystics and Buddhist monks have these pieces all mapped out from time immemorial.  I could revisit just how it is that “shakras” are supposed to work and consider all the sentient points on the body that the Daoists have mapped out.  And I can dust off my biology chops, and go organ by organ on Wiki and reacquaint myself with what, scientifically at least, is actually at work there inside me.  But sitting quietly without gurus or professors, or doctors, with only myself and my awareness, in the quiet, it is fascinating to simply try to feel.  What can you feel?  What can you sense?

I took the time to relate this, this morning because I’m awfully thankful for the fact that here, for one more day, knock-on-wood, it all works.  So many infinite pieces that could break down sputter out, submit to attack.  And someday they will.  But today I can go to the bathroom, tie my sneakers, go to the gym.  It all works. 

Friends have shared health news that shakes me.  A family member feels ill and we visit the doctor over at the clinic nearby, next to my local Shunyi Starbucks.   Everything is all right.  Everything’s fine.  Sitting there quietly, I marvel at this complicated, hard working body that I take for granted.  How grand and mutual reinforcing it is to enjoy 精神焕发[1] for another day. 








[1] jīngshénhuànfā:  in high spirits (idiom); glowing with health and vigor

No comments:

Post a Comment