Friday, January 3, 2014

Lambodara




Just back from my daughter’s school dance performance and, it was wonderful.  Like any daddy I’m thrilled to watch her and feel proud at how compelling her particular performance was.  And this is a show I’ve wanted to see for a while, because it may be one of the only examples in China of young, middle school kids studying South Indian, classical Bharata Natyam:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharata_Natyam

I am often concerned by how demanding the program is at my daughters’ school.  Regular readers may have known me to kvetch.  But this was a flat-out Dustybrine winner and I really have to hand it to the vision of this school for supporting this effort.  I’m an international oddball who thinks Carnatic music sounds extraordinary and I would have pushed, indeed shoved for my kid to be part of such a class.  But here was an auditorium full of middle class Beijing, Chinese parents who not only supported the idea of their daughters (no lads, I’m afraid) studying this art form, but cared enough to come out and see it performed.  Maybe I’m a simpleton, but this gives me great hope for the future of Asian international relations.  I mean it. 



I think the default for Chinese aspirational parents, certainly the stereotype for them, let alone for the vast majority of everyone else in the country would be for a bland, begrudging respect for India as a “great civilization” (lower case)  but that India certainly had little to teach China and its children about preparing for or competing within, the “modern” world of technology and finance.  Look to Silicon Valley, or Japan if you must and increasingly, don’t bother, just bend over and smell the wonder of Chinese a flatulent for a sense of what the future has in store.  India?  Certainly India is merely playing catch up and offers China nothing worthy of serious consideration.  (Stereotype.  Perhaps I should bold it for emphasis) 

And here is Ms. Jin, a Chinese teacher, who lived for five years in Delhi studying with Bharata Natyam master for five years who brings the tradition to my daughter’s school.  I asked her what brought her to India in the first place and she replied:  “I simply loved the dance.”  And indeed, it is, like the musical tradition that accompanies the classical dance, a remarkable treasure unto the world.  Here was a room in Beijing with thirty young ladies, all dancing to Indian rhythmic sophistication, stomping their feet and moving their eyes in choreographed wonder.  Sorry, but I’m pressed to consider how it gets much cooler. 

I’m a sap.  When I worked at my last company and had a chance to visit the Indian office I had a piece of Chinese calligraphy prepared by a well-known calligrapher here in Beijing.  But the four character set I had produced: 洲一体[1]  was penned, not by a Chinese but by a Japanese scholar, Okakura Kakuzo in 1904.  Normally I make you, tender reader, look down to the one lonely footnote that this blog always has, to discern what it is that I have written in Chinese.  (This, unless you are a Chinese reader and no doubt chuckle at my wanna-be references.)  But hey, today I’ll tell you what洲一体, means, because I believe it and it is pivotal for all of our futures.  It means:  “Asia is one.” 

Okakura was writing “The Awakening of Japan” in 1904 during Japanese ascendancy for sure.  Japan had defeated China in the Sino-Japanese war nine years earlier, and this was just as Japan was about to become the first East Asian power since the Mongols to defeat a European power, Russia, the following year.  But Okakura’s vision of Buddhism that spawns in India and flows through China to transform Japan is one of humility and one of unity.  Chinese friends tell me the four characters sound a bit stentorian, something like a militarist leader might yell.  Sigh.  OK.  To me, as long as no one is necessarily imposing this on someone else, it sounds like all the profound civilizations in the neighborhood must be humble and look for that which binds them so that all the parties, the entire continent, is stronger for it. 

I had the good fortune to attend undergraduate university at Wesleyan University back in Middletown Connecticut.  When I first got there, I didn’t know much about what I was getting in to.  I didn’t know, but my roommate quickly hipped me to the fact that the place I was in residence had arguably the country’s finest World Music program.  This was a turning point for me and my all-important views on music.  There was, suddenly, a world beyond hardcore punk, which had completely dominated my teens until that time.  Suddenly, all any music that wasn’t overtly commercial was worthy of exploration.  Anything.  And that first year, as I stared down the remarkable catalogue, I chose, among other things, “South Indian Vocal”, probably because it just seemed so extraordinarily out-there. 

I learned, in time, that I was studying with a Carnatic master of vocal and flute from Madras, Mr. T. Viswanathan, whom I’m learning now passed, in 2002.  I can still recall learning the words to a song that went something like: “ Lam-bo-da-ra” which translated into a peon to Ganesh “Oh rotund lord.”  It was a hard class, it was very early in the morning, and I probably didn’t inspire Professor Viswanathan to think he was doing much of the Lord’s work there in Middletown, but certainly, sitting there with the shruti box humming, I was touched, forever, by this music, which seemed and was so remarkably other and deliberate. http://dpnelson.web.wesleyan.edu/viswanathan.html

Viswa’s brother was someone whom a few of my friends studied with.  Mr. T. Ranganathan was a world famous mrdangam player who was a master musician, like his brother, long before he played with John McLaughlin on the Shakti recordings.  http://dpnelson.web.wesleyan.edu/ranganathan.html

Viswa and Ranga’s sister was T. Balasaraswati (1918-1984) was considered the apogee of the Barat Natyam dance tradition, in her lifetime.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balasaraswati  Later as an adult trying to learn as much about India as I could, I read R. K. Narayan’s “The Guide” which profiles the hapless resident of the fairy tale Malgudi city, who falls in love and marries a Barat Natyam dancer.  And I remembered the shadows that I peered through and wondered what Viswa and his family thought of this novel, and this author, that they surely must have known. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guide  But it was too late to speak to them.  That generation had passed. 

When I was a suburban New York eighteen year old encountering this august family, on a whim, I frankly had no idea the majesty I was engaging with.  I could only claim a naïve but important sense of curiosity.  And this is the same tradition that my little girl somehow wound up encountering this semester in suburban Beijing. 

The teacher today, Ms. Jin, had her daughter, who is thirteen, perform when the younger girls were done.  Smashing!  She was dressed in costume and looked lovely. Her performance was utterly convincing.  I particularly noted the stomping of feet.  This in a culture where women had their feet systematically broken for 1000 years or so.  Stomping is beautiful.  You don't’ get much more empowered than that.  And me from a western tradition of ballet where lithe leaping and pirouette on toes is the apogee of feminine grace tipped my hat to thousands of years of heel and ball stomping.  I for one, was real glad to see my girl up there stomping her feet into the ground, loudly, in unison with complex Carnatic beats.  I’m sure there is probably some other feminist critique of Barat Natyam I should familiarize myself with.  But for me, sitting there in Beijing seeing all these Chinese kids stomp and spin and drop flowers on the gymnasium floor, it was just a perfect Friday afternoon. 



May Asia find the power, slowly, gracefully, to be one.  “Lambodara.” 





[1] Yàzhōu yītǐ:  Asia is an integral whole / all concerned / everybody  “Asia is one”

No comments:

Post a Comment