Sunday, August 13, 2017

I Do All Those Things




Home.  There’s a desk at home.  When you sit at that desk, stuff gets done.  And if you sit there without the family around, well, there’s no telling just how much work can be retired.  I got back yesterday but today, the internet stopped.  And today, I noticed that the gas tank is on empty.  And because its’ China and you must independently decide that it’s sort of “time” to recharge your electricity or be caught unawares and have it just run out.  Having been away for the summer, I’m assuming it will be lights out at any moment now.  It is also advised that you fill the fridge with food if you want to eat. 

I do all those things then today.  I also go to the gym for the first time in God know how long.  And once its approaching completion you realize that nothing of any great dimension on the work front was accomplished on this Saturday that you were going to knock down one to-do after another.   



Sometime around 11:00AM I have it in my head to bike to the gym.  Someone said they were going to call at 10:00AM.  Then they pushed back to 10:30AM. But it’s now 10:50AM.  I get on my bike and my friend then rings to say he’d fallen asleep.  So we do the call.  It won’t take long.  I finish my espresso and start to ride out.  It begins to drizzle.  I go home expecting a deluge with all this humidity.  It never comes.  Reluctantly, all the while talking on the phone, I decide to head out to the gym despite the drizzle and pedal in the inclement weather.






I arrive at the gym, still talking.  The call drops.  I call back.  There really isn’t any need to speak further.  We’re going in circles.  “OK.  Sounds good.”  Some track from the classic “Band of Gypsies” LP always seems to pop on my running mix while I’m at the gym.  “Message of Love” is readjusting my ear molecules as I walk past a crowded vestibule full of adults being led in exercise.  I step around some huffing people hoping the crowd isn’t also there in the gym.  The door to the gym is locked.  This has me frustrated for a moment until a young lady runs over from inside and lets me in.  One of my daughter’s teachers was speaking to me from a crouched position but I hadn’t noticed until the door closes behind me.  I think she caught my smile.



Saturday, 8/05/17


No comments:

Post a Comment