Sunday, August 13, 2017

She Would Be the Danish Prince




We’re to have lunch at a burger place, before we head to a production of Hamlet.  I’m concerned.  A big, juicy burger will put me straight to bed.  But the kids know the place, and love it, so there isn’t any discussion. 

We parked and headed straight in to where the move theatre used to be.  Now this corner and adjacent real estate is Burgerfi.  The woman behind the counter is notably assertive and notably proud and notably ready to tell everyone the distinguishing characteristics of what it is we’re they’re ordering.  I take her advice and get a big basket of fries and another of onion rings.  We go to bare metal table to await our devices to begin their bleeping.  They do and the burger delicious, as promised.



The play is in an old farm house on the Vassar Farm property.  I use the bathroom and return to find my sister and kids have moved.  “Sorry, no seats here.”  I go take a seat in the back.  The place is decorated sparsely and I look around to consider the crowd, a mix of student-aged folks and oldsters like me.  I noticed one African American woman sitting by herself staring off into space.  As the lights went down it became clear that she would be the Danish prince this evening.

Hamlet can’t make up her mind.  She never can.  She’s ardent and earnest, spurred on by visions that only we can see.  And she’s frozen with indecision.  Claudius plays it neutral.  Gertrude tries to be reasonable.  But the ghost’s don’t lie.  We know why this young prince is in so much pain.  The cast sets about with large primitive icons that do a good job of suggesting an uncompromising Nordic medievalia.    



Later after the spell is broken my stepdad enters the bathroom and seeing me comments about how the play was good for a student production.  I gesture for him to mind his commentary as Resencrantz and Guilderstern are currently using the two stalls. 


Looking on Wiki I note that this director was not the first to consider casting a woman in the prince’ role.  Sarah Bernhardt had the role in 1880 . . .



Friday 07/14/17



No comments:

Post a Comment