Sunday, August 13, 2017

You Are Saving




The mall has a place named Dick’s.  I believe it is a sporting goods store.  Driving in we explore a mock discussion from around the conference table, debating whether Dick’s would really work as a name.  “I know you’re the founder Richard.  And we have all affectionately referred to you as “Dick” for years, but I want to raise an what might be an obvious interpretational challenge, at least the way I see it with my marketing hat on.  It could be interpreted, well, you know as less that flattering, Dick.”  It must be difficult to resist the temptation to pun with abandon if you work in the marketing department:  “Dick’s, we’re hard to beat.”  “Dick’s, we stand out among the competition.”  “You know us.  We’re all Dick’s in here." 

I realize as soon as I’ve gotten there that I let my wife use my card last night and have no way to pay for anything.  I will need to drive thirty minutes, and then drive back for thirty minutes so I can return, do my shopping and then take the final thirty-minute return home.  "You go.  We'll shop" say the girls.  

One the way back the first time, I talk to an old friend whom I only seem to call when I share the same coast with him.  On the east coast, a call is expected.  On the way back to the mall, I caught up with a colleague who’s also State-side.  The time I’d fretted about wasting has flown by.  It was a good use of time.  Expect that the time is now gone. 



And hour and some later I’m back. I am ready to shop.  I repeat my routine from last summer and the summer before that.  I go to the DSW shoe shop.  I walk up and down a few times, collecting size ten-and-a-half boxes to try.  With my shorts and black socks, all the shoes I try on look ridiculous.  I imagine them with slacks and I imagine them after a thousand steps and what they might feel like on my feet.  The discount rack has nothing that suits me.  The dress shoes are too stiff.  The casual shoes aren’t sharp enough. I pile up boxes and consider whether or not the staff that roams the floor will take them when I continue my search.

In Banana Republic I consider all things on sale.  Everything seems to be on sale.  The rates of discount vary.  On the one had I consider that these would be good shirts to get if their 50% off.  Meanwhile I can’t help but imagine myself among the pricing managers, debating the best discounting strategy to engage someone in this futile loop of possibilities.  You are saving.  You can save more.  Think of what you’ve saved. 




I however do not know enough about the rag trade and am at peace paying a bit more.  I buy clothes in America because, they have my size and because the quality is reasonably reliable, unlike what might be had for less (or more) in China.   The check person is a young lady, who immediately seems intelligent.  It turns out her mother is from Shanghai.  Her dad from around here.  Yes she’s been.  No she doesn’t speak, but she can understand.  I let her know I’ll be there on Friday, which she thinks is wonderful.



Saturday, 07/22/17  


No comments:

Post a Comment