Saturday, September 23, 2017

They're All Speeding Off




A gaggle of jet lagged people no longer particularly interested in anything but going to bed.  Meetings were shuffled.  This meant it was Bei San Huan, to Shang Di and then all the way over to Guo Mao.  “Where is the next meeting?” I asked, out while out in Shang Di?  “Guo Mao.”  It was like having a meeting in Walnut Creek only to have the person say we now had to head to Santa Clara.  It would be like heading to Gun Hill Road after finishing up your meeting on Wall St. 

We arrived late.  Tried not be rushed.  And we labored to get a cab after it was done.  One, two and three people were futilely working their Di Di Da Che apps trying to get a car to come and meet us.   “He canceled.”  “My guy did too.”  These car hire apps are great until they aren’t.  There doesn’t seem to be any loyalty.  Someone confirms a ride and then has a second thought and drops you.  Oh, I couldn’t find you.  Oh, someone else wants to go to someplace further.   Uber’s left town.  No one wants you to pull them over.  They’re all speeding off, answering some app notification.



This area should be full of cars.  The streets are empty.  There must be some traffic blocked somewhere.  Terrible place to look for a cab.  Off in the distance the new tall new buildings of the Guo Mao area collude with the old tall buildings of the Guo Mao area to block the darkening sky.  I notice a hotel.  Another hotel that’s marked by the ghosts of meetings past.  I tell everyone to follow me and walk through the gilded lobby purposefully.  With the air of a guest I walk out to the kid in front and ask him to get me a cab.  I tell him I’ll add some extra fare if they prioritize.  Im assuming this will be 100RMB but its only twenty and soon a minivan is on the way.




Everyone wants to bail.  Everyone is exhausted and jet lagged.  I’ve pre-ordered two ducks though and do not intend to quit on the part of the day I’ve been waiting for all day long.  It's been committed, I'm delivering.  Soon we’re rolling our duck pancakes and refilling glasses of beer.  Three more people become familiar with the Beijing duck ritual for the first time.  I love the smell of this place and ask if they notice. 



Wednesday, 09/20/21


No comments:

Post a Comment