Saturday, September 23, 2017

The Diction Gems She'd Planted




The last time I heard a new female rapper cut it open and leave it there bleeding was probably Dominique Young Unique.  Not like I’ve been looking but these things only happen ever so often.  Dominique was younger, six or so years ago when her single “War Talk’ was released.  She looked like one of my old students, there walking around somewhere in Florida, tossing basketball shots.  The song is aggressive, nimble and convincing and I wanted my daughters to know about the song immediately, despite the foul language. 

The next time I checked she’d moved on and was a colossal super hero, in a silly outfit, stomping around looking ridiculous.   If only she could have maintained that cutting youthful vibe.  This, the music of the not so Young Dominique Unique is not especially unique, at all. It happens.  Second albums are tough. 





Time goes past.  Last night someone jokingly sent on a link by Junglepussy: “Bling Bling.”  It took me a few listens to realize the posture and the positioning of the song.  By this time, I was beginning to unpack several of the diction gems she’d planted within her rhyme.  Now I started digging into her first album.  The more I hear the more I like. Seems like damn near a perfect first album, as per the classic definition: no bad songs. 



Then I took to watching this young lady address a room full of students at Yale. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect but she effortlessly and substantively charmed the room into thinking about the possibilities of ‘pussy muscle hustle.’  It sounded ridiculous and profound in equal measure the way “street knowledge” in formaldehyde for Yale university should presumably sound.  I will have to play this clip to my daughters I suspect.  I haven’t been recharged by hip hop in a while now.  Junglepussy is on fire. 



Thursday, 09/14/17







No comments:

Post a Comment