Saturday, May 17, 2014

Hotels on Victoria Peak




Just got off the phone with the message, “thanks for making the time to play Monopoly.”  Two friends spent the night with us here out in the burbs.  We were up rather late, one needed a ride to the airport rather early, and the rest of the morning was a bit disjointed.  Our second guest had some hours before him and when he rose, shone and finished his breakfast, he was corralled into a game of Monopoly by my younger daughter. 

You realize, sitting down to undertake such a thing, that we, certainly I, don’t play them much any more.  Most adults don’t, of course. My parents no doubt had no more time for board games as busy adults than I do.  But I can only imagine the degree of pull from kids is less than it was. And I wrote about a game of Clue, not long ago, so it isn’t absolute.   But there I believe are a broader range of things available to allow you to sit and entertain yourself, than there ever were; rather than how many games have you got in the closet, it is how many apps can you download and learn from a nearly infinite pool.  Sitting down, my friend commented “ah, it’s good you’ve girls.  My boys were always off with video games," but there is more going on than gender.

I am and always have been the wheelbarrow.  I don’t know why.   Auspiciously I got the highest roll and went first.  And it all comes back, rather immediately.  You don’t need to count to know that a seven will advance you from this rail station to Chance.  You don’t need to actually read the card Community Chest card with the little capitalist man holding a hammer to know this dread card later in the game forcing you to make improvements on your properties is irrelevant this early on.  And with every turn you set about your land grab. 



Besides me is my wife, from Shandong.  Obvious, but perhaps worth mentioning nonetheless that if her family were to have had let alone played this particular celebration of capitalist rough and tumble when she was my daughter’s age it would have been a capital crime.  She is excited that she has got the “Electric Company.”  A neophyte, she doesn’t "get it" that this will be utterly and entirely irrelevant in about forty minutes.  Property love, it’s all about property. 

The only thing off about this particular set is that we bought it in Hong Kong.  And so, Boardwalk, is “Victoria Peak” and Pacific Place is “Causeway Bay.”  The currency is Hong Kong dollars and so everything has a zero added to it.  It is way too late to change it all now.  My children, I confess, will forever think that Reading Railroad is “Tsing Yi Station” and I’m not sure how I feel about this.  Will there be a moment at a friend’s house when they are laughed at?  Will there be a definitive moment on a game show when someone references “Hotels on Boardwalk” and they are clueless?  I’m sure I will one day pay for this. 

Now, back to game.  It is interesting how important it was and is, to win.  Sometimes I wonder if I really have it in me to actually “sell” software or anything for that matter, all the time.  A good game of Monopoly disabuses one of such fears and taps straight into your ruthless nine-year-old sense of conquest.  Someone else’s gain is your loss.  Focus on the objective:  赶尽杀绝[1] Secure property at all cost, ignore other assets, money is secondary, bide your time and then, when it is clear who has what set about making your deals, so you can overbuild and force other players into bankruptcy, one by one.  Lovely little game. 

The good part, which Parker Brother’s or whoever owns it now, would certainly promote is that it reinforces teaching things like math, “so if it is 40 times the roll of the dice, what does momma owe you?” and the cards are in Chinese and English so there’s a language component.  But really, its about being a hard boiled property trader, who makes and disposes of friends quickly, so you are never a sucker.



Music was in order.  I had on something unassuming to start.  The African Virtuoses were an all guitar group from Guinea.  I got their disc last year in the days before Rdio and it is lovely because it is vaguely Latin and yet anchored somehow there in the bulge of Africa.  Recorded Abidjan in the Ivory Coast in 1983, it is a lovely unique sound.  But I wondered if it was all a bit gentle for what was at play. http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/10617-the-classic-guinean-guitar-group/

We moved on to the Beatles.  I always love the story that John apparently played a game of Monopoly once and was, at least at this early invocation, despite all his “imagine”-ing of later years, a rank son-of-a-bitch who played for keeps and delighted in stomping others.  We started with “Rubber Soul”, made our “The White Album” and “The Beatles For Sale” before by the time we we’d done our swapping and started building hotels. 

And in the end it was pretty evenly matched with three of the parties that remained.  I’d tear down hotels to pay off someone else’s exorbitant hotel fees.  But then someone would land on something else of mine and I’d bilk them back.  This carried on for a while before we decided, in a manner Andrew Carnegie would no doubt have disapproved, that we’d all won, and it was high time to move on. 

Whatever it takes to get the family to sit down together and enjoy some time as one, listen to the Beatles and drive each other into the poor house. 




[1] gǎnjìnshājué:  To kill to the last one (idiom) / to exterminate / to eradicate / ruthless

No comments:

Post a Comment