Friday, January 22, 2016

Transcends the Obvious




Groaning aloud over Manchuria.  Vast tracks of anonymous white fields stretch on to become low mountains that peak swiftly giving way to new patches of hills to plains, over and over and over again.  We sail along, oblivious to terrestrial circumstances.  Must be cold.  Must be desolate.  Now a new set of hills come into view.  There is a calming quality to the barren, wintery landscape, so far below.  This is good, as the Internet is unstable. 



Initially, of course, I blame China.  The parenthetical listed on the collateral has a caveat:  “Internet may be unavailable over Chinese air space.”  But I can easily access Google and the New York Times so this isn’t a Great Fire Wall issue.  United provides a satellite service.  Perhaps our Chinese friends block this service or perhaps some ability to boost the signal that works elsewhere is prohibited.  Then again it may simply be a compromise that United makes and defends, unchallenged.

The gentleman beside me and I strike up a conversation after I ask him to lend me his pen for the immigration form.  He’s in tech.  I’m in tech.  He has a family.  I have a family.  He’s from China and lives in America.  I’m from America and live in China.  It’s all very easy and I’m glad for having broken the ice.  People always appear more “lovely” when you aren’t pressed in next to them in economy.  You’re also less likely to have to engage in the; “no way, it’s your first time to China?” chat.




I was conscious of having to make excuses back in the US for the ‘Beijing-as-punch-line” discussions, around the capital’s air quality.  In the winter the aesthetics of apartment blocks and polluted lots beneath grey skies can really make you wonder just why it is you choose to live in this town.  But fortunately I have cool cab driver and soon I’m already in a lively Chinese discussion or the first time in ten days.  He has a toothpick and I can finally change the SIM card in my phone back to a Chinese SIM.  I’m appreciative.  He laughs. The ease of acculturation and all that it entails, transcends the obvious compromise and reminds me of something I’d otherwise have forgotten, if I weren’t freshly home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment