Monday, January 18, 2016

Sea Like A Highway




Tonight, a former tribe leader has invited me out.  I haven’t seen him since we were in the same tribe. He was the chief.  My former Korean employee always reminds me with a big grin:  “Once a boss, always a boss.”  It’s a nice thing to hear, but I’m not sure I subscribe to that.

My current colleague, who shares both old and new tribal affinity with me calls an Uber and we take it over to the once-upon-a-time chief's place.  I notice that the building is named “Asia” and that the statuary is tasteful.  He has a lovely apartment and we all sit around a large screen.  Another brave from our former tribe is over as well this evening and together we are four veterans. 



Our former leader has a new boat.  There are videos of fishing trips.  The fish are large and strong as they fight.  Then, they are suddenly pulled on board, visible and they are remarkable to consider.



I am curious about the geography of where it is they sail to.  My host graciously sources Google Earth up on to the screen.  There now, is the vast Caribbean.   “It’s only a few hours from there on to Jamaica.”  I consider for a while what it must be like to suddenly open up the sea like a highway and travel from Hispaniola to Curacao and then on to Cartagena.  “Sure.  You can sail through the Canal.  I don’t know what they charge but . . .” I’m lost in thought of setting my own course through the Panama Canal and all the myriad lives that remain latent, and unlived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment