Friday, April 29, 2016

I Like Turquoise




Computer crashed this morning with about ten Word doc windows open.  They were all auto saved so when I reopen the computer ten ‘recovered’ docs appear in addition to the originals.  I think it is safe to assume that they are all redundant, but the first one I cross check is blank.  So I am hesitant to just dump them all.  I began the process but threw in the towel as its tedious and I prefer to write. 

I have my bright orange Tona Cerveza shirt on as I ride out once again to Hong Qiao airport.  It’s gotten hot all of a sudden.  The last three days were cold and rainy.  Today’s sunny through the haze and maybe the first time this year I’ve felt it was uncomfortably hot.  One of my students met me in the street with my suede jacket on and asked, incredulous: “aren’t you hot?”  It occurred to me that I was.

Unlike some cabs that have the digital entertainment, blasting me with ads, a device that you start pounding to shut up, the moment you sit down, I have, instead a still picture in front of me now.  A white woman, in her early twenties, perhaps from Eastern Europe, with a low cut dress, generous cleavage and a pensive look in her eye is looking forward in triplicate.  I presume “La Zephire” is a place Chinese men to ogle at western woman.  What do I know?  It might be a library.  I’ll have to have a crack at translating the fine print. 



Running late as always.   Traffic’s slow as always.  Different airline this time though.  Air China had nothing but first class seats left for the flight back up to Beijing.  So I have opted for a flight with my friends from Xiamen Airlines.  Not sure that I’ve ever flown them before. They have a little middling dormitory on Tianbei Lu in Beijing.  When you ride out in the morning you always see the ladies for Xiamen airlines out on the road waiting for their shuttle bus. They wear turquoise scarves and there is a turquoise sash painted on their planes.  I like turquoise. 




I don’t have any great pull with them but I may need it.  I am coming to the airport late.  It took my too long to get this cab.  Never give up though.  A fine adage.  In China you can always try.   

And, well beyond the cut off time, I made it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment