Friday, May 12, 2017

Partake of the Thai Brand Tuna




What kind of a dumb cat doesn’t eat salmon?  The wife brought home a dozen pieces of salmon sashimi. The younger one, myself, the Mrs., we all dug in.  As sashimi goes I can only take so much salmon.  I’d prefer a mix of things, but still, it was pleasant and it struck me as we were finishing up that it wouldn’t be right to forget our little feline.  I reckoned that this was going to simply blow her mind.  I imagined her rolling on her back, after consuming the slab.

I put it in her bowl and walked up the stairs.  She considered the offering.  Smelled it once and then again.  Unimpressed, she scampered up the stairs as well and over to me, to see if there might be anything else on the menu.  There was not.  This frustrated me, considerably.  Probably because I cannot understand how an animal could reject this human delicacy.



This is not an isolated incident with our tabby.  I offer her some of my precious tuna fish when I make my mid-day salads.  She will deign to partake of the Thai brand tuna in water I usually have.  But when I got Bumble Bee’s version of tuna in water she shook her head.  Tuna that had been in oil?  No way.  She doesn’t want skim nor whole milk, either.  And I think of the rough strays that strut around outside of our compound, chasing birds, rummaging in garbage cans.  It strikes me that I’d like to explain to my cat that she’s got it good.  In the “real” cat world, it’s a scramble for chow.  You don’t walk away from oily tuna if that’s all you get.



This is a ridiculous loop that I try to dispose of as quickly as possible.  I don’t know precisely why some things appeal to her and others do not.  A more scientific mind might proceed further along, to discern precisely which of our human diet was properly suited to her.  Then I could intellectually combat the urge to feel contemptuous when she rejects something that doesn’t fit her needs or the Sylvester the Cat stereotypes of what a hungry cat should eat.  But my attention is drawn elsewhere.  Smores will need to wait for the next bag of cat chow.




Wednesday 5/10/17

No comments:

Post a Comment