Sunday, January 21, 2018

Released from Thinking




Up.   But not up enough.  Chatting till late last night.  Friend over.  Wine by the roaring fire.    My phone says 6:04AM.  Normally I’d be out of the bed and down the stairs.  This morning I consider the pillow.  I consider the viability of throwing on my shorts and grabbing the car keys and driving to the gym.  It could be done.  It will only be a second, as I roll my body and caress the pillow with my other arm. Released from thinking.

Now it is 6:50AM.  Any chance of going to the gym this morning has evaporated.  Downstairs I pop in some contact lenses and consider the news and the evening’s emails, until it is time to go and wake the girls for school.  The time I’d normally be returning from the gym.



Terrible traffic, into the city.  Of course.  Not one but two different accidents on the airport expressway.  Fender benders abrasions that necessarily mean both drivers will stop in the middle of the four-lane, city bound traffic and photograph the scratches on the bumpers and call someone to come and help them.  In the U.S. rubberneckers gape at whatever’s happened when they finally crawl up upon scene and then traffic usually speeds off.  Not so here.  Not so now.  We continue to crawl after we pass the non-accident.




So tired this evening. Early tired.  Unable to work at 8:00PM.  I can’t just pack it in this early in the evening.  I’d napped, unwittingly during the car ride home a few hours back.  I’d been chatting with a young person I was sharing part of the ride with.  Once and then twice I realized she was waiting for me to respond to her comment, but I hadn’t heard it.  “You seem tired” she offered, stating the obvious.  Tired again.  Just too much to take on the litany of little things all laid out of me on my list of to-dos.



Wednesday 01/17/18


No comments:

Post a Comment