Monday, August 27, 2018

Strange, Dreamy Blue





My guests who were visiting today went out to the Great Wall.  I thought I’d get quite a bit done while they were away.  I had a cup of coffee, read my emails, glanced over the paper, did a call or two and as I was considering a late lunch, they rolled up back home.  They didn’t need any tending to, but I felt like tending to them.  I felt like I ought to stop being productive much earlier than I'd otherwise supposed I would.

This evening I had a dinner I'd agreed to a long time ago with a colleague to attend to.  He had a a wonderful guest in town who I'd met before.  She’s a good conversationalist.  I’ll make time to do this, even though my colleague always chooses places that are 90 minutes drive from where I live. 



This is the new traditional.  We have duck, and there is a strange verisimilitude of a traditional Beijing opera performance, with a woman, or was it a man, as the tradition holds, who sang before a blue screen with shadows behind her casting a strange, dreamy blue mood.  And there were subtitles as Beijing opera often has for tourists.  “I------------------------------------------------------------------ am angry.”   “He-------------------------------------------------- has cheated.”



As always seems to happen on Thursday evenings I must duck out before the dinner is over and  cut into a hallway in the back of the restaurant to take a weekly call with a client.  I adjust the seat, find a place to plug in, check the reception and stare down a waitron who is confused as to why I am here.  In my mind I’d have time to prepare.  By the time I’ve cleared all away, there are barely a few minutes left.  I don’t have my thoughts together.  The call doesn’t go well.  Later, when I head back to my table, my hosts have left.  The show is over.  It’s time to head home.



Thursday 05/10/18


No comments:

Post a Comment